finding strings with quotes

From
Christine Penner
Date:
I'm trying to do a select to find on a char field that has a single quote but getting errors. This is what I'm doing:

Select * from f_buildings where B_STRET_LNE_CON='BERLETT\'S ROAD'

The text I'm trying to find is BERLETT'S ROAD

If I do the same thing but have double quotes in the string instead of single quotes this works.
--
Christine Penner
Ingenious Software

Re: finding strings with quotes

From
Bosco Rama
Date:
Christine Penner wrote:
> I'm trying to do a select to find on a char field that has a single
> quote but getting errors. This is what I'm doing:
>
> Select * from f_buildings where B_STRET_LNE_CON='BERLETT\'S ROAD'

There are a couple of ways to do this in PG but the easiest and closest
to the standard is to use two quotes to insert a quote into a string.

Like this:
   Select * from f_buildings where B_STRET_LNE_CON='BERLETT''S ROAD'

HTH

Bosco.

Re: finding strings with quotes

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 25 Feb 2011, at 21:45, Christine Penner wrote:

> I'm trying to do a select to find on a char field that has a single quote but getting errors. This is what I'm doing:
>
> Select * from f_buildings where B_STRET_LNE_CON='BERLETT\'S ROAD'
>
> The text I'm trying to find is BERLETT'S ROAD
>
> If I do the same thing but have double quotes in the string instead of single quotes this works.

You probably have set standard_conforming_strings to 'on'.
In that case you should either use:
    SELECT E'BERLETT\'S ROAD';
    SELECT 'BERLETT''S ROAD';
Or set standard_conforming_strings TO 'off', in which case you'll just get a warning.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4d68cc3d11735859949296!