password

From
Roedy Green
Date:
I gave Postgre a password during install.  However, it always rejects
it. I tried uninstalling, deleting all files, and reinstalling. Same
thing.  It complains about user "roedy" (my windows id). It seems to
me the default user is supposed to be postgres not Roedy.  Perhaps
that is the source of the problem. I can't find anything relevant in
the docs.

The docs talk about installing on Unix by compiling C source.  I have
Windows 7 64 bit. I get the feeling Windows users are unwelcome.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Re: password

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
Hello,

Installation of postgresql requires you to enter a password for the user 'postgres'.

 i) If the user 'postgres' is not there, it will create it and set the password to whatever you have provided,
 ii) If the user 'postgres' is already existing, then you have to give its password to move further in the installation.

You can use any account other that 'postgres' by giving CLI option '---serviceaccount <username>'. See --help for more details.

In case you dont remember the password you set for user 'postgres' then you can change the same via "Right Click My Computer"-->"Manage"-> Users..

You said it rejects the password.  When ?

And windows user are most welcome here.

I gave Postgre a password during install.  However, it always rejects
it. I tried uninstalling, deleting all files, and reinstalling. Same
thing.  It complains about user "roedy" (my windows id). It seems to
me the default user is supposed to be postgres not Roedy.  Perhaps
that is the source of the problem. I can't find anything relevant in
the docs.

The docs talk about installing on Unix by compiling C source.  I have
Windows 7 64 bit. I get the feeling Windows users are unwelcome.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
Refactor early. If you procrastinate, you will have
even more code to adjust based on the faulty design.
.

Sachin Srivastava

Re: password

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 02/20/11 9:15 PM, Sachin Srivastava wrote:
> In case you dont remember the password you set for user 'postgres'
> then you can change the same via "Right Click My
> Computer"-->"Manage"-> Users..

note that if you change it here, you also need to change it in the
postgres service descriptor, in Control Panel->Administration
Tools->Services

when you initially connect to postgres wtih psql or pgadmin-III, specify
the user as `postgres` and then once connected,

     CREATE USER yourname WITH PASSWORD 'somepass' createdb createrole;

and this will create a SQL account for you with that sql password, and
give this user permission to create databases and roles (users).

Re: password

From
Roedy Green
Date:
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:44:22 -0800, pierce@hogranch.com (John R
Pierce) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>when you initially connect to postgres wtih psql or pgadmin-III, specify
>the user as `postgres` and then once connected,

It would not let me in even once.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
Refactor early. If you procrastinate, you will have
even more code to adjust based on the faulty design.
.

Re: password

From
Roedy Green
Date:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:45:14 +0530, sachin.srivastava@enterprisedb.com
(Sachin Srivastava) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>Hello,
>
>Installation of postgresql requires you to enter a password for the user 'postgres'.
>
> i) If the user 'postgres' is not there, it will create it and set the password to whatever you have provided,
> ii) If the user 'postgres' is already existing, then you have to give its password to move further in the
installation.

>You can use any account other that 'postgres' by giving CLI option '---serviceaccount <username>'. See --help for more
details.

>In case you dont remember the password you set for user 'postgres' then you can change the same via "Right Click My
Computer"-->"Manage"->Users..

>You said it rejects the password.  When ?
>
>And windows user are most welcome here.
>

>On Feb 21, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
>
>> I gave Postgre a password during install.  However, it always rejects
>> it. I tried uninstalling, deleting all files, and reinstalling. Same
>> thing.  It complains about user "roedy" (my windows id). It seems to
>> me the default user is supposed to be postgres not Roedy.  Perhaps
>> that is the source of the problem. I can't find anything relevant in
>> the docs.
>>
>> The docs talk about installing on Unix by compiling C source.  I have
>> Windows 7 64 bit. I get the feeling Windows users are unwelcome.
>> --
>> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
>> http://mindprod.com
>> Refactor early. If you procrastinate, you will have
>> even more code to adjust based on the faulty design.
>> .
>>

>> --

This did not help.  However, I have got it going.  Part of my problem
came from expecting it to work identically to MySQL.

I have posted my notes at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/postgresql.html#GOTCHAS

The key was setting up ENV parms to get it to default to postgres as
the user id.  It was defaulting to roedy, my windows id.  I later
discovered I could force it to use postgres with the -U option. At
first this did not appear to work.