Explicit NULL for no INTEGER data?

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
   I have a data file I want to copy into a table. The column name and
attribute is:

     depth_seal INTEGER

one of the rows in the .csv file I want to bring into the table has no value
for this column, but there is no explicit NULL in the text file. When I try
to copy the file psql complains:

     ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: ""
     CONTEXT:  COPY water_well, line 1, column depth_seal: ""

Do I need an explicit NULL in that column?

Rich

Re: Explicit NULL for no INTEGER data? -- Update

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Do I need an explicit NULL in that column?

   Update: Placing NULL or a blank produces the same error.

   How should I represent no value for an integer column in a .csv file?

Rich

Re: Explicit NULL for no INTEGER data? -- Update

From
Mike Christensen
Judging from:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-copy.html

It looks like you have to specify your own NULL string with the NULL
AS parameter of the COPY command.

Date:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Mike Christensen wrote:

> It looks like you have to specify your own NULL string with the NULL
> AS parameter of the COPY command.

Mike,

   I completely missed that option when I've read the copy page. My
apologies!

Date:
>> It looks like you have to specify your own NULL string with the NULL
>> AS parameter of the COPY command.
>
> Mike,
>
>  I completely missed that option when I've read the copy page. My
> apologies!
>
> Rich

Awesome, I'm the one usually asking easy questions on this mailing
list so I'm just glad I could answer one for once!