set theory question

From
matty jones
Date:
I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind relational databases and associated topics..  I am looking some works on set theory, algebra, or any other books/papers on the mechanics that databases are built on.  I found one book online, http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~maier/TheoryBook/TRD.html, The Theory of Relational Databases by David Maier and that is what got me interested in the foundations of database design and theory.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: set theory question

From
Andy Colson
Date:
On 2/2/2011 4:58 PM, matty jones wrote:
> I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind relational
> databases and associated topics..  I am looking some works on set
> theory, algebra, or any other books/papers on the mechanics that
> databases are built on.  I found one book online,
> http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~maier/TheoryBook/TRD.html, The Theory of
> Relational Databases by David Maier and that is what got me interested
> in the foundations of database design and theory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Dont know any books, but have you read the wikipedia page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory

Its probably more of an intro, but it might have
people/theories/axims/etc that you could find books on.

-Andy

Re: set theory question

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Andy Colson wrote:

>> I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind relational
>> databases and associated topics.

> Dont know any books, but have you read the wikipedia page?

   Try any book by Edgar F. Codd. While at IBM he developed the concept of
relational databases and defined the 12 rules that a fully relational dbms
must implement. You might also find books by Joe Celko insightful and
useful.

Rich

Re: set theory question

From
"Wappler, Robert"
Date:
On 2011-02-02, matty jones wrote:

> I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind
> relational databases and associated topics..  I am looking
> some works on set theory, algebra, or any other books/papers
> on the mechanics that databases are built on.  I found one
> book online,

I can recommend "Foundations of Databases" (Abiteboul, Hull, Vianu)
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Databases-Logical-Serge-Abiteboul/dp/0
201537710

--
Robert...

Re: set theory question

From
Yeb Havinga
Date:
On 2011-02-03 18:41, Wappler, Robert wrote:
> On 2011-02-02, matty jones wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind
>> relational databases and associated topics..  I am looking
>> some works on set theory, algebra, or any other books/papers
>> on the mechanics that databases are built on.  I found one
>> book online,
> I can recommend "Foundations of Databases" (Abiteboul, Hull, Vianu)
> http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Databases-Logical-Serge-Abiteboul/dp/0
> 201537710
Definately recommended (note this book is also called the 'Alice' book
because of it's front cover picture). It enabled me to write
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0705/0705.3949v1.pdf

regards,
Yeb Havinga

Re: set theory question

From
Vincent Veyron
Date:
Le vendredi 04 février 2011 à 19:08 +0100, Yeb Havinga a écrit :
> On 2011-02-03 18:41, Wappler, Robert wrote:
> > On 2011-02-02, matty jones wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking for a good book on the math and/or theory behind
> >> relational databases and associated topics..  I am looking
> >> some works on set theory, algebra, or any other books/papers
> >> on the mechanics that databases are built on.  I found one
> >> book online,
> > I can recommend "Foundations of Databases" (Abiteboul, Hull, Vianu)
> > http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Databases-Logical-Serge-Abiteboul/dp/0
> > 201537710
> Definately recommended (note this book is also called the 'Alice' book
> because of it's front cover picture). It enabled me to write
> http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0705/0705.3949v1.pdf
>
> regards,
> Yeb Havinga

Relational Databases and Knowledge Bases by Georges Gardarin has served
me well. It's 20 years old, but the rules still apply. Very clear and
thorough.

I haven't checked the English version.

--
Vincent Veyron