Automatic database monitoring tool for PostgreSQL ... new project

From
Michael Justin
Date:
Hello,

Two weeks ago I started a new open source software project (FireAlarm,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/firealarm/) which helps to detect
performance problems on Firebird SQL servers - by continuous analysis of
system tables which are very similar to the PostgreSQL Statistics Views.

While I am still new to PostgreSQL and have real world experience with
DB2 InterBase and Firebird only I am interested to write a similar tool
for PostgreSQL.

Maybe there are articles or discussions which help to get an
introduction to the practical usage of PostgreSQL Statistics Views, like
typical queries used to identify potential problems? Just to give an
example: on InterBase and Firebird, long running transactions can cause
performance problems, and a typical system monitoring task is to find
the clients or processes with the oldest transactions (older than x
minutes).

Regards
--
Michael Justin
http://www.habarisoft.com/

Re: Automatic database monitoring tool for PostgreSQL ... new project

From
Joshua Tolley
Date:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:28:36PM +0100, Michael Justin wrote:
> While I am still new to PostgreSQL and have real world experience with
> DB2 InterBase and Firebird only I am interested to write a similar tool
> for PostgreSQL.
>
> Maybe there are articles or discussions which help to get an
> introduction to the practical usage of PostgreSQL Statistics Views, like
> typical queries used to identify potential problems? Just to give an
> example: on InterBase and Firebird, long running transactions can cause
> performance problems, and a typical system monitoring task is to find
> the clients or processes with the oldest transactions (older than x
> minutes).

There are several such tools already. That's not to say that writing another
is a bad idea, just that there are lots you could look at for inspiration. One
of the most widely-used is check_postgres, found here:

http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation