Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Elliot Chance
Date:
On 20/11/2010, at 4:04 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Excerpts from Dave Page's message of vie nov 19 12:22:09 -0300 2010:
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

I wonder if the mailing list would alow posting from an address like
forums+1357@postgresql.com.au if only forums@postgresql.com.au is
subscribed.  The number or string after the + would presumably be the
user ID in the forum or some unique identifier.  (Extra points if the
mailing software at that domain forwards email to the user when sent to
that address (or maybe a PM in the forum system) -- this would solve
Dave's concern.)

That would solve it, yes. I don't think mj2 will allow that though -
we've been looking for something similar for sysadmin use.

So let's patch Mj2.

If we use a pattern like the persons unique username:
Elliot Chance <forums-chancey@postgresql.com.au>
John Smith <forums-jsmith@postgresql.com.au>

Then I can create a catch-all so that when an email is sent to forums-chancey@postgresql.com.au it finds the user "chancey" gets the real address and sends it on. If there were a way we could register a range for mj2 like accept all emails from forums-*@posgresql.com.au then I think that solution would work well.

Re: Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

Date:
Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> writes:
> Then I can create a catch-all so that when an email is sent to forums-chancey@postgresql.com.au it finds the user
"chancey"gets the real address and sends it on. If there were a way we could register a range for mj2 like accept all
emailsfrom forums-*@posgresql.com.au then I think that solution would work well.

So any spammer that knows that can blast the lists at will?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Elliot Chance
Date:
On 21/11/2010, at 2:41 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> writes:
>> Then I can create a catch-all so that when an email is sent to forums-chancey@postgresql.com.au it finds the user
"chancey"gets the real address and sends it on. If there were a way we could register a range for mj2 like accept all
emailsfrom forums-*@posgresql.com.au then I think that solution would work well.

> So any spammer that knows that can blast the lists at will?
>
>             regards, tom lane

No, because their spam email would have to go through the mailing list before it reaches the forum and the mailing list
wouldsimply reject it if they were not subscribed.

They can't send emails to the forum directly because there is are secret email addresses that are never given out or
shown.

Re: Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

Date:
Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> writes:
> On 21/11/2010, at 2:41 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Then I can create a catch-all so that when an email is sent to forums-chancey@postgresql.com.au it finds the user
"chancey"gets the real address and sends it on. If there were a way we could register a range for mj2 like accept all
emailsfrom forums-*@posgresql.com.au then I think that solution would work well.

>> So any spammer that knows that can blast the lists at will?

> No, because their spam email would have to go through the mailing list before it reaches the forum and the mailing
listwould simply reject it if they were not subscribed.

Uh, how you figure that, if the mailing list has been hacked so that it
will accept mail from a large range of names that aren't in fact
subscribed?

            regards, tom lane