PostgreSQL 32 bit DB on 64 bit machine

From
"Martin, Brian D. (JSC-OD)[UNITED SPACE ALLIANCE LLC]"
Date:
Can a 32 bit PostgreSQL v. 9.0 db be copied from a 32 bit machine and overwrite the db on a 64 bit PostgreSQL machine?
I'mtrying to get a good initial starting point before performing hot standy write ahead logging (WAL) replication
betweena 32 bit and 64 bit machine.  When I copy the 32 bit db to the 64 bit db, the PostgreSQL logs are saying the
pg_controlfile has a checksum mis-match.  When I backup and restore the 64 bit pg_control then the log files report a
sysid mismatch.

Thank you,
Brian Martin

Date:
Can a 32 bit PostgreSQL v. 9.0 db be copied from a 32 bit machine and overwrite the db on a 64 bit PostgreSQL machine?
I'mtrying to get a good initial starting point before performing hot standy write ahead logging (WAL) replication
betweena 32 bit and 64 bit machine.  When I copy the 32 bit db to the 64 bit db, the PostgreSQL logs are saying the
pg_controlfile has a checksum mis-match.  When I backup and restore the 64 bit pg_control then the log files report a
sysid mismatch.

Thank you,
Brian Martin

Re: PostgreSQL 32 bit DB on 64 bit machine

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 18:53 -0500, Martin, Brian D. (JSC-OD)[UNITED
SPACE ALLIANCE LLC] wrote:
> Can a 32 bit PostgreSQL v. 9.0 db be copied from a 32 bit machine and overwrite the db on a 64 bit PostgreSQL
machine? I'm trying to get a good initial starting point before performing hot standy write ahead logging (WAL)
replicationbetween a 32 bit and 64 bit machine.  When I copy the 32 bit db to the 64 bit db, the PostgreSQL logs are
sayingthe pg_control file has a checksum mis-match.  When I backup and restore the 64 bit pg_control then the log files
reporta sys id mismatch.

You must run the same architecture.... 32-32 or 64-64

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: PostgreSQL 32 bit DB on 64 bit machine

From
Dann Corbit
Date:

I think he can get what he wants by doing a SQL dump instead of an ordinary dump.

For instance, from PG Admin III, right click on the database cylinder and choose the plain text options.  You'll be
leftwith a command something like this:

pg_dump --host localhost --port 5433 --username postgres --format plain --create --clean --inserts --column-inserts
--verbose--file "q:\donzbrane.sql" "Chess"

(Here, I am sending the output of a database called 'Chess' to a SQL file called donzbrane.sql).
By examining the options and command line choices for pg_dump from the manuals, you can also create exactly what you
want.

Re: PostgreSQL 32 bit DB on 64 bit machine

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 27/10/10 08:34, Dann Corbit wrote:
> [...]

It's also possible to run 32-bit PostgreSQL binaries on a 64-bit
machine. In that case, a 32-bit data directory may be used.

> I think he can get what he wants by doing a SQL dump instead of an ordinary dump.

I tend to agree. Running a 32-bit DB on the 64-bit host won't tell them
anything much for this case.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/