Compilation of optional packages

From
Jutta Buschbom
Date:
Hallo,

At our institute we decided to use PostGreSQL as our new server-based
database system. The installation of PostGreSQL 9.0.0 on SLES 10 x64
went fine. However, before I start configuring the system and start
creating databases, users etc. I am wondering, which functionality I
need to give the system right from the start that I cannot add later.
The problem is that I don’t know what users might need in the future and
being new to database management I might find out that some
administrative functionality is necessary later on.

Thus, my question: using “./configure –help” quite a lot of optional
packages are listed for language support (PL/xxx) and network
access/authentication, plus there is the feature to enable native
language support. Do I install all these, just in case, or is there a
possibility to add those packages and features later on as necessary?
How does one go about this? Thanks a lot for your advice in advance.

Jutta

Re: Compilation of optional packages

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Jutta Buschbom
<jutta.buschbom@vti.bund.de> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> At our institute we decided to use PostGreSQL as our new server-based
> database system. The installation of PostGreSQL 9.0.0 on SLES 10 x64 went
> fine. However, before I start configuring the system and start creating
> databases, users etc. I am wondering, which functionality I need to give the
> system right from the start that I cannot add later. The problem is that I
> don’t know what users might need in the future and being new to database
> management I might find out that some administrative functionality is
> necessary later on.
>
> Thus, my question: using “./configure –help” quite a lot of optional
> packages are listed for language support (PL/xxx) and network
> access/authentication, plus there is the feature to enable native language
> support. Do I install all these, just in case, or is there a possibility to
> add those packages and features later on as necessary? How does one go about
> this? Thanks a lot for your advice in advance.

You can install them later.  The only things you can't change without
a dump and reload are architectural, like integer datestamps and 32
versus 64 bit.

Re: Compilation of optional packages

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 06/10/10 15:24, Jutta Buschbom wrote:
> At our institute we decided to use PostGreSQL as our new server-based
> database system. The installation of PostGreSQL 9.0.0 on SLES 10 x64
> went fine.
>
> [snip]
>
> Thus, my question: using “./configure –help” quite a lot of optional
> packages are listed for language support (PL/xxx) and network
> access/authentication

If you're new to PostgreSQL and to database admin in general, I strongly
suggest sticking to the RPM packages published for your distribution.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Re: Compilation of optional packages

From
Jutta Buschbom
Date:
This is reassuring. Thank you, Scott. Jutta

> You can install them later.  The only things you can't change without
> a dump and reload are architectural, like integer datestamps and 32
> versus 64 bit.

Re: Compilation of optional packages

From
Jutta Buschbom
Date:
Hallo Craig,

I found the repository and am considering switching to rpms. Compiling
from source actually was more straightforward for me initially, but in
the long run rpms probably are the better option. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jutta