Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
"Edmundo Robles L."
Date:
Hi!
  I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.

If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
postgres...

Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Edmundo Robles L.
<erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
> Hi!
>  I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
> Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
> but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.
>
> If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
> postgres...
>
> Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
> OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?

Are you sure this isn't just a limit in max_connections in postgresql.conf?

On 07/22/2010 05:39 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Edmundo Robles L.
> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx>  wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>   I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
>> Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
>> but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.
>>
>> If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
>> postgres...
>>
>> Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
>> OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?
>>
> Are you sure this isn't just a limit in max_connections in postgresql.conf?

Yes, i sure. i have the same problem with postgres 7.2 (100 connections)
and   8.3.11 (only 95 :-( )

   I change  the max_connections on postgres , on SCO 5.0.7 set   the
SHMMAX,SHM*  to the maximun value and relink the SCO kernel
but always , i have only 95  client connected to postgres no more.....

That is  because we want buy SCO 6.0 but  i don't know  if we will have
the same problem,  our programs are developed on SCO so the migration to
another  operative system is not a choice... for now.

By the way i  send a mail to SCO  but  until now they don't answer to me.

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Edmundo Robles L.
<erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:

> On 07/22/2010 05:39 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Edmundo Robles L.
>> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>   I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
>>> Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
>>> but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.
>>>
>>> If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
>>> postgres...
>>>
>>> Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
>>> OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?
>>>
>> Are you sure this isn't just a limit in max_connections in postgresql.conf?
>>

> Yes, i sure. i have the same problem with postgres 7.2 (100 connections)
> and   8.3.11 (only 95 :-( )
>
>   I change  the max_connections on postgres , on SCO 5.0.7 set   the
> SHMMAX,SHM*  to the maximun value and relink the SCO kernel
> but always , i have only 95  client connected to postgres no more.....
>
> That is  because we want buy SCO 6.0 but  i don't know  if we will have
> the same problem,  our programs are developed on SCO so the migration to
> another  operative system is not a choice... for now.
>
> By the way i  send a mail to SCO  but  until now they don't answer to me.

I'd be working on a schedule to get off of SCO if it was up to me.

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Ireneusz Pluta
Date:
Edmundo Robles L. pisze:
> On 07/22/2010 05:39 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Edmundo Robles L.
>> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi!
>>>   I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
>>> Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
>>> but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.
>>>
>>> If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
>>> postgres...
>>>
>>> Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
>>> OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?
>>>

>> Are you sure this isn't just a limit in max_connections in postgresql.conf?
>>

> Yes, i sure. i have the same problem with postgres 7.2 (100 connections)
> and   8.3.11 (only 95 :-( )
>
>    I change  the max_connections on postgres , on SCO 5.0.7 set   the
> SHMMAX,SHM*  to the maximun value and relink the SCO kernel
> but always , i have only 95  client connected to postgres no more.....
>
> That is  because we want buy SCO 6.0 but  i don't know  if we will have
> the same problem,  our programs are developed on SCO so the migration to
> another  operative system is not a choice... for now.
>
> By the way i  send a mail to SCO  but  until now they don't answer to me.

... so keep your programs on SCO, but setup DB separately on a more
friendly OS. As as your programs have configurable connection info, of
course

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
On Jul 23, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Edmundo Robles L. wrote:

> By the way i  send a mail to SCO  but  until now they don't answer to me.

Not surprising, since they've been in bankruptcy for a while now (a couple of years?) and have almost no employees
left.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Scott Ribe wrote:
On Jul 23, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Edmundo Robles L. wrote:

By the way i  send a mail to SCO  but  until now they don't answer to me.
Not surprising, since they've been in bankruptcy for a while now (a couple of years?) and have almost no employees left.

Right; SCO filed for bankruptcy in 2007, and it's amazing they still get people to buy their products at all.  I thought the suggestion of moving the database server to another server was the best one here.  If you have an application that must be run on SCO, hopefully the PostgreSQL part of it can at least be relocated onto another platform and system.

Talking about SCO always brings a smile to my face, as my first round of serious PostgreSQL work was funded by profits I made shorting their stock in 2003.  After reading http://perens.com/SCO/SCOCopiedCode.html and confirming the code mentioned was in my Lions commentary and "C Programming Language" books, I opened a trading account and placed my bet that they were wrong about infringement.

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
Shorting stock is not my usual strategy, so I was a chicken, and only tied up about 10% of my available credit shorting
itback then. Hindsight is that instead of just going based on their botched presentation and obvious lack of
understandingof the provenance of their own code and Linux, I should have researched the company like I would for any
otherinvestment. Had I done that, I believe I would have gone "all in" on that short position...

On Jul 24, 2010, at 3:09 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Talking about SCO always brings a smile to my face, as my first round of serious PostgreSQL work was funded by
profitsI made shorting their stock in 2003.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com
http://www.elevated-dev.com/
(303) 722-0567 voice

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 23/07/10 05:24, Edmundo Robles L. wrote:
> Hi!
>   I have a problem with the  max  postgres connections  on SCO
> Openserver 5.0.7, so ...my boss decided to buy  the SCO Openserver 6.0
> but this   version comes in 2  editions:  Starter and Enterprise.
>
> If SCO 5.0.7 only allows 95 ( -3  used by superuser)  connections to
> postgres...
>
> Do you know  how many connections to postgres  can i have with
> OpenServer   in Starter Edition or Enterprise edition?

Upgrading from 5.0.5 / 5.0.7 to 6.0 is like upgrading from Windows 95 to
Windows ME in 2010. Or Mac OS 7.1 to Mac OS 9.2. You're upgrading from
the corpse of an operating system to one that's still twitching feebly.
This is not going to be a good way to invest time and money.

Your boss may not realize that SCO basically dropped OpenServer as a
product line in favour of UnixWare in the late 90s. Since then there was
no significant work done on OpenServer. There's been no work done on it
at all (as far as I can tell) since Caldera bought the SCO name and
OpenServer product from the original Santa Cruz Operation, fired all the
software engineers, hired some lawyers and sued world+dog. The Santa
Cruz Operation renamed themselves Tarantella after their primary
profitable product and went on with life, but "SCO" as a company is history.

OpenServer is dead, dead, dead. Any money put into products targeting
openserver is a sunk cost, and you can't change that, but you should
really avoid sinking more money into that mess. If your management is
still sticking to OpenServer, they should probably read about
"escalation of commitment", a decision making tendency that's very
dangerous and very easy to fall into if you don't think about it carefully.

In case you think I'm just a Linux zealot flag-waving, I have a SCO
OpenServer 5.0.5 box in the back room, running business critical
applications. The apps are actually for Microsoft Xenix (yes, 1983
binaries) running in the Xenix persionality on OpenServer. I considered
a port to OpenServer 6.0, but realized it was just slightly delaying the
inevitable move to something modern.

So ... I keep it running - in VMWare, since 5.0.5 runs about ten times
faster as a VMWare guest on a Linux host than it does natively on the
same hardware. It's faster because SCO doesn't use much RAM for disk
cache, doesn't readahead, and is generally just sloooooow in its disk
access and memory use strategies. The Linux guest in a vmware setup can
cache the whole SCO OS and apps disk in RAM, making the whole setup much
faster. It seems more stable under VMWare than running natively on
modern hardware, too.

I'd recommend you do much what I've done. Move your SCO instances to VMs
running under Linux. Provide modern PostgreSQL on the Linux host, and
just compile libpq for the SCO guest. Then start work on migrating your
app to run natively on Linux/BSD/Solaris/whatever.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Re: Question about SCO openserver and postgres...

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Just noticed an error I should correct.

> There's been no work done on it
> at all (as far as I can tell) since Caldera bought the SCO name and
> OpenServer product from the original Santa Cruz Operation, fired all the
> software engineers, hired some lawyers and sued world+dog.

I did overstate that bit a little. They've done some small work on
improving OpenServer since the transfer to Tarentella, including 5.0.7V,
according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_OpenServer

Note that The SCO Group (sco.com) still push 5.0.7, not 6.0, as their
primary product.

  http://sco.com/

and primarily the for-virtualization version 5.0.7V. Wonder why? Maybe
because the only people still using it are doing so to support legacy
apps in an otherwise more modern environment, doing as little as
possible on SCO.

  http://sco.com/products/openserver507v/hyperv/

For what it's worth, SCO OpenServer (5.0.5 at least) runs fine on VMWare
anyway. I wonder if they've done anything more than packaged up a VM
image of 5.0.7 with this product. They certainly don't mention anything
useful like paravirt drivers for network and disk I/O.

Anyway, let me reiterate: virtualize, then run away as fast as you can.