Weird trouble with select

From
erobles
Date:
Hi!

I have  3  pc's:
pc 'A'  with postgres 7.2 running
pc 'B' and 'C'  connected to  'A'

if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
id=72";  takes too long time to  return the data, near of 10 minutes
more or less.
if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
id=71",  or whatever value in id , the data are returned immediatly.

if i made  the next query on 'A'  (postgres server):  "select * from
detail with  id=72", the data are returned immediatly.

i tried to recreate de database ( drop and create), but i got the same
result on  'B' and 'C' pc's.

But when  i made the query on another scenary ( 'D'  and 'E' with 'F'
like postgres server)  with the same database  the works fine.

So i am   intrigued,  i checked the  network connection but looks fine,
if you can  help me with this, i will  thankfull with you!

Regards, e-ddie.

Re: Weird trouble with select

From
Joshua Tolley
Date:
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:44:35AM -0500, erobles wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have  3  pc's:
> pc 'A'  with postgres 7.2 running
> pc 'B' and 'C'  connected to  'A'

You should upgrade as quickly as possible. 7.2 is ancient. Even 8.1 will hit
end-of-life soon.

> if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
> id=72";  takes too long time to  return the data, near of 10 minutes
> more or less.
> if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
> id=71",  or whatever value in id , the data are returned immediatly.
>
> if i made  the next query on 'A'  (postgres server):  "select * from
> detail with  id=72", the data are returned immediatly.

I wonder if you're just hitting caching effects, and the different client
hosts are confusing the issue. If you issue the query from one machine
multiple times, does it reliably take forever the first time, and go quickly
afterward?

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Attachment

Re: Weird trouble with select

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:44 AM, erobles <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have  3  pc's:
> pc 'A'  with postgres 7.2 running
> pc 'B' and 'C'  connected to  'A'
>
> if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
>  id=72";  takes too long time to  return the data, near of 10 minutes more
> or less.
> if i made  the next query on 'B' or 'C' :  "select * from detail with
>  id=71",  or whatever value in id , the data are returned immediatly.

How long does

select count(*) from (select * from detail where id=72);

take?  I.e. no transfer of data, just the count.