table partition or index

From
AI Rumman
Date:
For how many records I should go for a table partition instead of using just index?
Any idea please.

Re: table partition or index

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* AI Rumman (rummandba@gmail.com) wrote:
> For how many records I should go for a table partition instead of using just
> Any idea please.

General rule of thumb is that you don't need partitioning until you're
into the 100's of millions of records.

    Stephen

Attachment

Re: table partition or index

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM, AI Rumman <rummandba@gmail.com> wrote:
> For how many records I should go for a table partition instead of using just
> Any idea please.

I concur with Stephen.  We tend to split our tables when they exceed
100 million rows *if* they are experiencing performance issues, and
target them to be no more than 10 million rows each after expected
growth over the next few years.

I have one table that is very hot that is about 70 million rows I'd
like to partition, but it has many FK's pointing to it, which
complicates it considerably.