How to return an INT4 subtracting dates?

From
Andre Lopes
Date:
Hi,

I need to return an int4 subtracting two dates, but returns me an interval.

select
end_date - now() as interger_number
from hist_anuncios

How to return an integer out of this?

Best Regards,

Re: How to return an INT4 subtracting dates?

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

2010/6/9 Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I need to return an int4 subtracting two dates, but returns me an interval.
>
> select
> end_date - now() as interger_number
> from hist_anuncios
>
> How to return an integer out of this?
>

> Best Regards,

postgres=# select '2010-06-18'::date - CURRENT_DATE;
 ?column?
----------
        9
(1 row)

Regards

pavel Stehule

Re: How to return an INT4 subtracting dates?

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 09/06/2010 11:57, Andre Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to return an int4 subtracting two dates, but returns me an interval.
>
> select
> end_date - now() as interger_number
> from hist_anuncios
>
> How to return an integer out of this?

Hmmm, according to the docs, subtracting dates returns an integer:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/functions-datetime.html

Try "current_date", which gives you a date, instead of "now", which
gives you a timestamp.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland