Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Glen Barber
Date:
Hi,

Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.

First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.

I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
worked out great.  The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
location of pg_upgrade_support.so.  It is a default build with the
exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.

Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:

%pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
  -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
  -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
  -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data)            ok
Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2)           ok

pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so

Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Thanks and regards,

--
Glen Barber

Re: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Glen Barber
Date:
On 6/7/10 1:14 PM, Glen Barber wrote:

[snip]

> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

I've received a reply on -testers about this, in case anyone is using
pg_upgrade with testing 9.0.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-testers/2010-06/msg00000.php

Date:
Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.
>
> First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.
>
> I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
> worked out great.  The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
> location of pg_upgrade_support.so.  It is a default build with the
> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
>
> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
>
> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
>   -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
>   -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
>   -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data)            ok
> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2)           ok
>

> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
>
> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Odd.  I am confused where that "/postgresql/" is coming from.  Can I see
your output of:

    pg_config --pkglibdir

Thanks.

Re: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Glen Barber
Date:
Hi Bruce,

On 6/7/10 5:12 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.
>>
>> First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.
>>
>> I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
>> worked out great.  The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
>> location of pg_upgrade_support.so.  It is a default build with the
>> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
>> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
>>
>> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
>>
>> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
>>    -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
>>    -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
>>    -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
>> Performing Consistency Checks
>> -----------------------------
>> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data)            ok
>> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2)           ok
>>

>> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
>> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
>>
>> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
>> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?
>
> Odd.  I am confused where that "/postgresql/" is coming from.  Can I see
> your output of:
>
>     pg_config --pkglibdir
>
> Thanks.

Sure thing:

   %pg_config --pkglibdir
   /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

--

Date:
Glen Barber wrote:
> >> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
> >> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
> >>
> >> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
> >>
> >> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
> >>    -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
> >>    -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
> >>    -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
> >> Performing Consistency Checks
> >> -----------------------------
> >> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data)            ok
> >> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2)           ok
> >>

> >> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
> >> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
> >>

> >     pg_config --pkglibdir
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Sure thing:
>
>    %pg_config --pkglibdir
>    /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>
> Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

That is interesting.  I ran configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2
using CVS HEAD (which should match 9.0 beta2), and my output is
different:

    $ ./pg_config --pkglibdir
    /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib

Notice the "/postgresql" is missing.  This is before running pg_upgrade.

I am attaching my entire pg_config output.  Can I see yours?  Thanks.

BINDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
DOCDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/share/doc
HTMLDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/share/doc
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/include
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/include/server
LIBDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib
LOCALEDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/share/locale
MANDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/share/man
SHAREDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/share
SYSCONFDIR = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/etc
PGXS = /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
CONFIGURE = '--with-tcl' '--with-perl' '--with-tclconfig=/u/lib' '--enable-thread-safety'
'--with-includes=/usr/local/include/readline/usr/contrib/include' '--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib /usr/contrib/lib'
'--with-openssl''--enable-cassert' '--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2'
CC = ccache gcc
CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/local/include/readline -I/usr/contrib/include
CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -fno-strict-aliasing -O1 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations-Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/contrib/lib -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib' -O1 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations-Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
LDFLAGS_SL =
LIBS = -lpgport -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline -ltermcap -lgetopt -ldl -lutil -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 9.0beta2

Date:
On 6/7/10 6:59 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>>     pg_config --pkglibdir
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Sure thing:
>>
>>     %pg_config --pkglibdir
>>     /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>>
>> Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
>
> That is interesting.  I ran configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2
> using CVS HEAD (which should match 9.0 beta2), and my output is
> different:
>
>     $ ./pg_config --pkglibdir
>     /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib
>
> Notice the "/postgresql" is missing.  This is before running pg_upgrade.
>
> I am attaching my entire pg_config output.  Can I see yours?  Thanks.

Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:

    %pwd
    /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
    %./pg_config --pkglibdir
    /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
    %cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
    %./pg_config --pkglibdir
    /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql

I've attached pg_config output for both.  To rule out something off with
my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
  Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
output.

Glen Barber

Attachment

Re: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

From
Glen Barber
Date:
On 6/7/10 7:48 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
[snip]

> Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:
>
> %pwd
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
> %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
> %cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
> %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>
> I've attached pg_config output for both. To rule out something off with
> my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
> different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
> Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
> output.

After just realizing CONFIGURE isn't showing what I would expect to see,
I rebuilt after removing the original source directories.  It looks like
I didn't 'gmake clean' before reconfiguring for the new target directories.

Sorry for the noise.  Thank you for taking the time to look.

Date:
Glen Barber wrote:
> On 6/7/10 7:48 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> [snip]
> >>

> > Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:
> >
> > %pwd
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
> > %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
> > %cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
> > %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
> >
> > I've attached pg_config output for both. To rule out something off with
> > my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
> > different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
> > Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
> > output.
> >

> After just realizing CONFIGURE isn't showing what I would expect to see,
> I rebuilt after removing the original source directories.  It looks like
> I didn't 'gmake clean' before reconfiguring for the new target directories.
>
> Sorry for the noise.  Thank you for taking the time to look.

No problem.  Glad we confirmed the cause.