export data to excel

From
akp geek
Date:
Deal All -

               I would like to know if there is any plug in available to export the result to excel from pgadmin. if I do that now, all the data gets exported as csv . Appreciate your help

Regards

Re: export data to excel

From
John R Pierce
akp geek wrote:
> Deal All -
>
>                I would like to know if there is any plug in available
> to export the result to excel from pgadmin. if I do that now, all the
> data gets exported as csv . Appreciate your help

configure excel to use the postgres database as an ODBC 'data source'
and query it directly from your spreadsheet.

Re: export data to excel

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
> Deal All -
>                I would like to know if there is any plug in available to
> export the result to excel from pgadmin. if I do that now, all the data gets
> exported as csv . Appreciate your help
> Regards

....Why not just save to the CSV file to XLS from within Excel? XLS,
and to a lesser extent XLSX are baroque proprietary formats which
aren't particularly well supported by most opensource tools.
Openoffice.org does a fair job at it, but that's about it.

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Re: export data to excel

From
"Gauthier, Dave"
Date:
csv can easily be swallowed by Excel as a data source.

I like the ODBC based query suggestion better.  I've configured Excel to accept user inputs via text input widgets and
passthem onto the query as params in the query predicate.  I found the "QueryEditor.xla" add-in very valuable in this
regardas it allows you to edit the sql query as text instead of their goofy and limited graphical editor which is often
notup to the task.

>                I would like to know if there is any plug in available
> to export the result to excel from pgadmin. if I do that now, all the
> data gets exported as csv . Appreciate your help

configure excel to use the postgres database as an ODBC 'data source'
and query it directly from your spreadsheet.

Re: export data to excel

From
Dave Coventry
Date:
There is also the Java POI classes (Poor Obfuscation Implementation)
for importing and exporting doc and docx, HSSF (Horrible SpreadSheet
Format) for exporting and importing xls and xlsx,
http://poi.apache.org/

There are also implementations for Outlook, Powerpoint and Visio.

Java can be integrated with PostgreSQL using the JDBC drivers:
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/

Hope this helps.

Re: export data to excel

From
akp geek
Date:
I tried this option, the error that I was getting can not use "crypt".  The  I have used the open office as Peter mentioned and that worked for me. I will try the other options mentioned also

thanks for the support

Regards

akp geek wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com
> <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>> wrote:
>
>     akp geek wrote:
>
>         Deal All -
>
>                       I would like to know if there is any plug in
>         available to export the result to excel from pgadmin. if I do
>         that now, all the data gets exported as csv . Appreciate your help
>

>     configure excel to use the postgres database as an ODBC 'data
>     source' and query it directly from your spreadsheet.
>

> I tried this option, the error that I was getting can not use "crypt".
>  The  I have used the open office as Peter mentioned and that worked
> for me. I will try the other options mentioned also

not sure what "crypt" has to do with anything here.   you would need a
postgres odbc or adodb or whatever driver that windows and excel can use
to access postgres directly.