pg_dumpall for Postgres Database Daily Backup?

From
"Wang, Mary Y"
Date:
Hi,

I'm running on Postgres 8.3.8.  My system admin is ready to set up a cron job for a daily database backup.
By reading the documentation over here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup-dump.html#BACKUP-DUMP-ALL (I
onlyfound the documentation for 8.3.10), and it looks like pg_dumpall > outfile is the best choice.  I'd like to ask
thecommunity to reconfirm.

Thanks in advance.
Mary

Re: pg_dumpall for Postgres Database Daily Backup?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:15 -0700, Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running on Postgres 8.3.8.  My system admin is ready to set up a cron job for a daily database backup.
> By reading the documentation over here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup-dump.html#BACKUP-DUMP-ALL (I
onlyfound the documentation for 8.3.10), and it looks like pg_dumpall > outfile is the best choice.  I'd like to ask
thecommunity to reconfirm.

It entirely depends on your needs. I generally use pg_dump -Fc over a
loop to each database. The plain text version of the dump is
particularly difficult to work with for partial restores.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Date:

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: pg_dumpall for Postgres Database Daily Backup?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:15 -0700, Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> By reading the documentation over here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup-dump.html#BACKUP-DUMP-ALL (I only found the documentation for
8.3.10),

If you replace 8.3 with current, you will get the current docs.

>  and it looks like pg_dumpall > outfile is the best choice.

Depends. Many people tend to dump each database individually, especially
using -Fc parameters in order to restore them easily. If you choose this
route, please note that you will also need to dump globals using
pg_dumpall -g.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org