How to read oracle table's data from postgre

From
venkatrao.b@tcs.com

Hello ,

I want to read oracle database table data from postgre. (like in oracle we can use database links, is there something like this available in postgre).
I tried below -

select dblink_connect('host=.., dbname=..user=.. pwd=..'); but it is giving error database refused connection. Do i need to add anything in oracle datbase server tnsnames. how should be this entry.(since here we are connecting oracle to postgre and not the oracle to oracle)

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Venkat
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: How to read oracle table's data from postgre

From
John R Pierce
Date:
venkatrao.b@tcs.com wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I want to read oracle database table data from postgre. (like in
> oracle we can use database links, is there something like this
> available in postgre).
> I tried below -
>
> select dblink_connect('host=.., dbname=..user=.. pwd=..'); but it is
> giving error database refused connection. Do i need to add anything in
> oracle datbase server tnsnames. how should be this entry.(since here
> we are connecting oracle to postgre and not the oracle to oracle)

postgresql's dblink functions can only connect to other postgresql
databases.   it has no idea how to connect to Oracle, or any other sort
of database.

Re: [NOVICE] How to read oracle table's data from postgre

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:40 +0530, venkatrao.b@tcs.com wrote:

> I want to read oracle database table data from postgre. (like in
> oracle we  can use database links, is there something like this
> available in postgre).

(It is not postgre, it is PostgreSQL or Postgres.)

You can try dbi-link:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: [NOVICE] How to read oracle table's data from postgre

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
2010/3/7 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:40 +0530, venkatrao.b@tcs.com wrote:
>>
>> I want to read oracle database table data from postgre. (like in
>> oracle we  can use database links, is there something like this
>> available in postgre).
>
> (It is not postgre, it is PostgreSQL or Postgres.)
>
> You can try dbi-link:
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Anyone know if this is still active / developed?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SqlMedConnectionManager

Re: [NOVICE] How to read oracle table's data from postgre

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Anyone know if this is still active / developed?
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SqlMedConnectionManager

That's still the right long-term approach for a lot of these problems,
so while activity on it happens in bursts I don't think it will ever go
completely inactive.  I expect SQL/MED plans for the next release may
get fleshed out at this year's developer's meeting in a couple of
months, should have a better idea who might be working on this by the
end of May.