need some advanced books on Postgres

From
Thomas
Date:
sigh,I didn't find a book with enough internal topics.

Re: need some advanced books on Postgres

From
Adrian von Bidder
Date:
On Friday 05 March 2010 02.27:39 Thomas wrote:
> sigh,I didn't find a book with enough internal topics.

I found the official documentation very good, for everything else ask here
or (for the gory details) on -hackers.  Or, of course, read the source,
Luke.

cheers
-- vbi

--
The following expression sorts a word list stored in
matrix X according to word length:

Attachment

Re: need some advanced books on Postgres

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On 05/03/10 01:27, Thomas wrote:
> sigh,I didn't find a book with enough internal topics.

You're never going to see a book covering the PostgreSQL internals.
You'd sell (at most) 100 copies and need to do major updates once a
year. It'd be several months work to write and only a handful of people
are really qualified to do so.

Like Adrian said - read the docs, and a polite question on the hackers
list will always get a polite response (although it might not be instant
- bear in mind people are in different timezones and they have a release
to get out).

There's also the developer side of the website and wiki.
   http://www.postgresql.org/developer/
   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page
   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: need some advanced books on Postgres

Date:
> On 05/03/10 01:27, Thomas wrote:
>> sigh,I didn't find a book with enough internal topics.

> You're never going to see a book covering the PostgreSQL internals.

The way you're meant to learn about that is to read the source code.
Start with
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/internals.html
and then start poking around in whatever part of the source tree
interests you.  There are also README files in many of the source
directories.

            regards, tom lane

Re: need some advanced books on Postgres

From
Thomas
Date:
Good advice ,tks both of you .
For database books ,I found so many good books on Oracle,some on
mysql,but  db2 and postgres, so few.
I have to read some books on Oracle for some advanced topics,although
oracle and postgres are different ,I also get some useful info from
it .
I hope postgres will be as popular as linux one day ,  :)

Re: need some advanced books on Postgres

From
Pedro Doria Meunier
Date: