Connection timeouts from pgAdmin

From
Lee Hachadoorian
Date:
I use the SQL editor in pgAdmin for all of my database work. The
problem I'm having is that after a period of inactivity, pgAdmin loses
the connection to the server. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid
this happening. Not being a network administrator, I'm wondering if
this is related to the tcp_keepalives settings described at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/runtime-config-connection.html.
Can someone confirm that I'm looking at the right settings, or is
there something else that might cause clients to lose the connection?
The connection seems to be being lost after ~ 15-20 minutes of
inactivity.

Thanks,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography

Re: Connection timeouts from pgAdmin

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Lee Hachadoorian wrote:
> I use the SQL editor in pgAdmin for all of my database work. The
> problem I'm having is that after a period of inactivity, pgAdmin loses
> the connection to the server. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid
> this happening. Not being a network administrator, I'm wondering if
> this is related to the tcp_keepalives settings described at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/runtime-config-connection.html.
> Can someone confirm that I'm looking at the right settings, or is
> there something else that might cause clients to lose the connection?
> The connection seems to be being lost after ~ 15-20 minutes of
> inactivity.

are you running pgadmin and postgres server on the same computer, or on
different computers?

if different computers, is there any sort of connection tracking in
between, such as a NAT router/gateway?

15-20 mins sounds a lot like the typical NAT idle connection timeout...

Date:
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:01 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> are you running pgadmin and postgres server on the same computer, or on
> different computers?

Different computers.

> if different computers, is there any sort of connection tracking in between,
> such as a NAT router/gateway?
>
> 15-20 mins sounds a lot like the typical NAT idle connection timeout...

I will have to ask the network administrator and respond.

Thanks,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center

Re: Connection timeouts from pgAdmin

From
Lee Hachadoorian
Date:
John,

Just wanted to reply that this seems to have been the right track.
Rather than change the firewall settings, our network administrator
was able set postgres to send a keepalive to the client.

Thanks,
--Lee