non intuitive behaviour of DROP TABLE IF EXISTS

From
Manlio Perillo
Date:

Re: non intuitive behaviour of DROP TABLE IF EXISTS

Date:
Manlio Perillo wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think the following behaviour is not intuitive:
>
> manlio=> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS foo.bar;
> ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist
>
> The statement should not fail if the schema does not exist

Hmm.  Well, it says TABLE IF EXISTS, not TABLE AND SCHEMA IF EXISTS.
;-)

Not sure if it makes sense to change it.

  PG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

Re: non intuitive behaviour of DROP TABLE IF EXISTS

From
Adrian von Bidder
Date:
On Sunday 07 March 2010 02.49:29 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:

> > I think the following behaviour is not intuitive:
> >
> > manlio=> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS foo.bar;
> > ERROR:  schema "foo" does not exist
> >
> > The statement should not fail if the schema does not exist
>
> Hmm.  Well, it says TABLE IF EXISTS, not TABLE AND SCHEMA IF EXISTS.
> ;-)
>
> Not sure if it makes sense to change it.

I tend to agree with Manlio from an end user perspective.  It's a case of
"do not feed the elephant".  Seeing this sign, what do you do if there is no
elephant around?  "Do not feed the elephant in the cage" doesn't change the
situation if there is neither elephant nor cage... :-)

(Obviously from a developer perspective, I appreciate you might need extra
code to not fail on resolving non-existing schemas.  And I guess this is not
a very high priority issue...)

cheers
-- vbi

(Trivia quiz: name the book)