pgpool error, pid not found!

From
Megha
Date:
Hi

I have installed pgpool in /home/megha/pgpool dir.
I found pgpool.pid file in /tmp folder.

when I try to start pgpool I get this error.
pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway..

Please help me!

Megha

Re: pgpool error, pid not found!

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
pgpool.pid file contains pgpool's parent process id.  That message
indicates that the file exists but the pgpool process id does not
exist. Probably pgpool was stopped in unclean way. You may ignore the
message as long as pgpool starts ok.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> Hi
>
> I have installed pgpool in /home/megha/pgpool dir.
> I found pgpool.pid file in /tmp folder.
>
> when I try to start pgpool I get this error.
> *pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway..*
>
> Please help me!
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Megha

Re: pgpool error, pid not found!

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
How did you start pgpool exactly(command line)?

Also, the number "9999" dpends on pgpool.conf.
Can you show me pgpool.conf?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> >From the README file , I found that " psql -p 9999 -c 'show pool_status'
> template1" command gives the internal status of pgpool.
> so when i start pgpool, I dont get any inernal status.
> I get this error message
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.9999"?
>

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > pgpool.pid file contains pgpool's parent process id.  That message
> > indicates that the file exists but the pgpool process id does not
> > exist. Probably pgpool was stopped in unclean way. You may ignore the
> > message as long as pgpool starts ok.
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> > SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
> > English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
> > Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have installed pgpool in /home/megha/pgpool dir.
> > > I found pgpool.pid file in /tmp folder.
> > >
> > > when I try to start pgpool I get this error.
> > > *pid file found but it seems bogus. Trying to start pgpool anyway..*
> > >
> > > Please help me!
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Megha
> >

> --
> Megha

Re: pgpool error, pid not found!

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Wao. This is pgpool, right? It's not maintained anymore(it was almost
3 years ago). Please use pgpool-II. The latest version is pgpool-II
2.3.2.1.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> Sorry for late reply. I work full time. so I work on postgres in night.
> here is the command that I use.
>
> I started pgpool using this command.
> pgpool/bin/pgpool  -f /home/megha/pgpool/etc/pgpool.conf -a
> /home/megha/pgpool/etc/pool_hba.conf
>
> pgpool.conf is attached.
>
> I have been trying to configure postgres and pgpool for past 2 months and I
> am getting too many problems with this.
> I hope you help me out to solve my errors.
>
> Waiting for your reply.
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > How did you start pgpool exactly(command line)?
> >
> > Also, the number "9999" dpends on pgpool.conf.
> > Can you show me pgpool.conf?
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> > SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
> > English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
> > Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> > > template1" command gives the internal status of pgpool.
> > > so when i start pgpool, I dont get any inernal status.
> > > I get this error message
> > >
> > > psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> > >         Is the server running locally and accepting
> > >         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.9999"?

> > > --
> > > Megha
> >

> --
> Megha

Re: pgpool error, pid not found!

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
The last version of pgpool(not pgpool-II) had been released almost 3
years ago. So I guess it has many bugs found during this 3 years.
However as long as the bug does not bite you, it's ok.

I just recommend to use pgpool-II in the real world use.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> one of the student at my school worked on this. I need to extend her thesis.
> so thats why I am using this.
> Is there any problem if I use this version?
> Is this stable version?
> Finally I am able to work both pgpool and postgres working togather.

Date:
I don't think pgpool can be compiled on Windows without heavy
modifications.