viewing large queries in pg_stat_activity

From
David Kerr
Date:
It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.

The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?

(I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
something that doesn't require a restart.

Thanks

Dave

Re: viewing large queries in pg_stat_activity

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/9 David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net>:
> It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.
>
> The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?
>
> (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
> something that doesn't require a restart.

The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
increase the overhead of collecting it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2010/2/9 David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net>:
>> It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.
>>
>> The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?
>>
>> (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
>> something that doesn't require a restart.
>
> The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
> length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
> track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
> increase the overhead of collecting it.

That's documented in 8.4, does anyone know if it's available in 8.3?

Thanks

Dave

Re: viewing large queries in pg_stat_activity

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM, David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net> wrote:
> It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about 1024 characters.
>
> The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the full query?
>
> (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
> something that doesn't require a restart.

FYI, log_statement doesn't require a restart, just a reload.  In fact
you can turn it on for just one db or user if you want with alter
database / alter user.

Re: viewing large queries in pg_stat_activity

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 09/02/2010 17:05, David Kerr a écrit :
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> 2010/2/9 David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net>:
>>> It seems like pg_stat_activity truncates the current_query to about
>>> 1024 characters.
>>>
>>> The field is a text, so i'm wondering if there is a way to see the
>>> full query?
>>>
>>> (I know i can turn on log_statement=all, or
>>> log_min_duration_statement) but i'd like
>>> something that doesn't require a restart.
>>
>> The data isn't being tracked, so there is no way to show it. The
>> length of the query tracked can be found in the parameter
>> track_activity_query_size. Note that increasing that will obviously
>> increase the overhead of collecting it.
>>

> That's documented in 8.4, does anyone know if it's available in 8.3?

No, it's a new feature of 8.4.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org