Visual DATA editor for PostgreSQL?

From
Dmitry Koterov
Date:
Hello.

Is there a GUI utility to visually edit Postgres DATA (not a database schema!), which allows at least:
- insert/update rows using screen windowed forms (possibly ugly auto-generated forms, but - still forms)
- insert foreign key references by selecting them from a list (not by typing the keys manually)
- work with multi-line text fields (textarea) for TEXT columns

There is a lot of DB development tools around (e.g. I like EMS PostgreSQL Manager). But a developer tool is handy for a database STRUCTURE editing, and when we need to modify its DATA quickly, these tools are not too useful.

Re: Visual DATA editor for PostgreSQL?

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 31/12/2009 8:51 AM, Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a GUI utility to visually edit Postgres DATA (not a database
> schema!), which allows at least:
> - insert/update rows using screen windowed forms (possibly ugly
> auto-generated forms, but - still forms)
> - insert foreign key references by selecting them from a list (not by
> typing the keys manually)
> - work with multi-line text fields (textarea) for TEXT columns
>
> There is a lot of DB development tools around (e.g. I like EMS
> PostgreSQL Manager). But a developer tool is handy for a database
> STRUCTURE editing, and when we need to modify its DATA quickly, these
> tools are not too useful.

It sounds like you want something like Microsoft Access, or
OpenOffice.org Base.

Beware that Access isn't very nice to use with non-Microsoft databases.
Its ODBC interface is a bit painful, and you'll need Visual Basic
workarounds to properly handle things like primary key generation.

OpenOffice.org base is just so buggy that I've never bothered fully
evaluating it for anything.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Visual DATA editor for PostgreSQL?

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a GUI utility to visually edit Postgres DATA (not a database
> schema!), which allows at least:
> - insert/update rows using screen windowed forms (possibly ugly
> auto-generated forms, but - still forms)
> - insert foreign key references by selecting them from a list (not by
> typing the keys manually)
> - work with multi-line text fields (textarea) for TEXT columns
>
> There is a lot of DB development tools around (e.g. I like EMS
> PostgreSQL Manager). But a developer tool is handy for a database
> STRUCTURE editing, and when we need to modify its DATA quickly, these
> tools are not too useful.
Lightning Admin has a form view when editing data and shows text fields
as multi line in the form view and in the data grid itself.

Later,

Tony

Re: Visual DATA editor for PostgreSQL?

From
Dmitry Koterov
Date:
Thanks, but seems Lightning Admin does not support foreign keys choice (at least, its demo version).
Any other solutions?

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> wrote:
Dmitry Koterov wrote:
[...]

Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> writes:
> Is there a GUI utility to visually edit Postgres DATA (not a database schema!), which allows at least:
> - insert/update rows using screen windowed forms (possibly ugly auto-generated forms, but - still forms)
> - insert foreign key references by selecting them from a list (not by typing the keys manually)
> - work with multi-line text fields (textarea) for TEXT columns

Have you tried Kexi yet?

  http://kexi-project.org/

dim