esql vs libpq

From
svcntk
Date:
Hello,

I'm doing a comparison between ESQL interfaces and libpq. For libp I
use pgbench, based on TCP-C, while for ESQL have a program that also
follows the transactions carried out on TCP-C.

However, the result with libpq is much better, with about 700
transactions per second, whereas with ESQL does not reach the figure
of 400. Does anyone know if libpq has superior performance to ESQL, or
is there something I am not taking into account?

Thanks

Re: esql vs libpq

From
"Albe Laurenz"
svcntk wrote:
> I'm doing a comparison between ESQL interfaces and libpq. For libp I
> use pgbench, based on TCP-C, while for ESQL have a program that also
> follows the transactions carried out on TCP-C.
>
> However, the result with libpq is much better, with about 700
> transactions per second, whereas with ESQL does not reach the figure
> of 400. Does anyone know if libpq has superior performance to ESQL, or
> is there something I am not taking into account?

What is ESQL?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: esql vs libpq

From
"Albe Laurenz"
svcntk wrote:
> ESQL = ECPG (Embedded SQL in C)
>
>>> I'm doing a comparison between ESQL interfaces and libpq. For libp I
>>> use pgbench, based on TCP-C, while for ESQL have a program that also
>>> follows the transactions carried out on TCP-C.
>>>
>>> However, the result with libpq is much better, with about 700
>>> transactions per second, whereas with ESQL does not reach the figure
>>> of 400. Does anyone know if libpq has superior performance to ESQL, or
>>> is there something I am not taking into account?
>>
>> What is ESQL?

I am to lazy to undo your top posting...

For one thing, ecpg uses libpq, so it can hardly be more performant.

For a more detailed analysis, you should compare what the test
cases are actually doing. You could set log_statements='all' to
see what arrives at the server, or you can use PQtrace
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-control.html)
in your client code.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe