Java Postgres drivers.

From
Dave Coventry
Date:
I'm not sure this is the right place to enquire...

I'm trying to connect to a postgres datanbase with Java.

import java.sql.*;

        // TODO code application logic here
        try{
            System.out.println("Starting...");
            Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
            String url="jdbc:postgresql:inenergy";
            System.out.println("Got here...");

        catch(Exception e){
            System.out.println("Error..."+e.getMessage());

        }
}

Just don't get to the 'Got here...' statement.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Java Postgres drivers.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Dave Coventry wrote:
> I'm not sure this is the right place to enquire...
>
> I'm trying to connect to a postgres datanbase with Java.

does that sample code hang?  do you get an error?

Re: Java Postgres drivers.

From
fernando@lozano.eti.br
Date:
Dave,

It looks like the postgresql.jar archive is not in your CLASSPATH.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

> I'm not sure this is the right place to enquire...
>
> I'm trying to connect to a postgres datanbase with Java.
>
> import java.sql.*;

>         // TODO code application logic here
>         try{
>             System.out.println("Starting...");
>             Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>             String url="jdbc:postgresql:inenergy";
>             System.out.println("Got here...");
>
>         catch(Exception e){
>             System.out.println("Error..."+e.getMessage());
>
>         }
> }
>
> Just don't get to the 'Got here...' statement.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Java Postgres drivers.

From
Ivano Luberti
Date:
Sure the url looks bad.
Shoudl be something like:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/dbname

Anyway you cen find more help about jdbc connectivity to postgres here:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/

Dave Coventry ha scritto:
> I'm not sure this is the right place to enquire...
>
> I'm trying to connect to a postgres datanbase with Java.
>
> import java.sql.*;

>         // TODO code application logic here
>         try{
>             System.out.println("Starting...");
>             Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
>             String url="jdbc:postgresql:inenergy";
>             System.out.println("Got here...");
>
>         catch(Exception e){
>             System.out.println("Error..."+e.getMessage());
>
>         }
> }
>
> Just don't get to the 'Got here...' statement.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: Java Postgres drivers.

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Ivano Luberti wrote:
> Sure the url looks bad.
> Shoudl be something like:
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/dbname

say huh?

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/84/load.html
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/84/connect.html

says what he's doing is fine.

Re: Java Postgres drivers.

From
Ivano Luberti
Date:
Oh sorry, cut and paste mistake
By the way using that syntax he is using he is assuming the server is
running on localhost and the port is the default one

John R Pierce ha scritto:
> Ivano Luberti wrote:
>> Sure the url looks bad.
>> Shoudl be something like: