Invalid redo in checkpoint record

From
"Shak"
Date:
Hi,

After a recent server crash after which the whole system hung and power had
to be pulled, I'm having the following error pop up when trying to start the
DB:

 * Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server
 * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up
at 2009-11-25 17:37:07 GMT
2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT PANIC:  invalid redo in checkpoint record
2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  startup process (PID 3126) was terminated by
signal 6: Aborted
2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process
failure
                                                                         [fail]

This is on Ubuntu 9.10. I've since tried to reinstall Postgres via Synaptic
(using complete removal), but I'm getting the same error.

The data is unimportant, so is there any way of getting the server itself to
run again? I've been advised to create a new cluster, but if I can somehow
reset or recreate the default one that'd be the best option. Otherwise I'm
considering reinstalling the whole shebang which seems a bit drastic.

Thanks!

Shak

Re: Invalid redo in checkpoint record

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Shak <sshaikh@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a recent server crash after which the whole system hung and power had
> to be pulled, I'm having the following error pop up when trying to start the
> DB:
>
> * Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server
> * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up
> at 2009-11-25 17:37:07 GMT
> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT PANIC:  invalid redo in checkpoint record
> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  startup process (PID 3126) was terminated by
> signal 6: Aborted
> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process
> failure
>
>  [fail]
>
> This is on Ubuntu 9.10. I've since tried to reinstall Postgres via Synaptic
> (using complete removal), but I'm getting the same error.
>
> The data is unimportant, so is there any way of getting the server itself to
> run again? I've been advised to create a new cluster, but if I can somehow
> reset or recreate the default one that'd be the best option. Otherwise I'm
> considering reinstalling the whole shebang which seems a bit drastic.

Take a look here

http://www.stuartellis.eu/articles/postgresql-setup/

for things like

pg_dropcluster
pg_createcluster

Re: Invalid redo in checkpoint record

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 27/11/2009 12:50 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Shak <sshaikh@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After a recent server crash after which the whole system hung and power had
>> to be pulled, I'm having the following error pop up when trying to start the
>> DB:
>>
>> * Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server
>> * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
>> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up
>> at 2009-11-25 17:37:07 GMT
>> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT PANIC:  invalid redo in checkpoint record
>> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  startup process (PID 3126) was terminated by
>> signal 6: Aborted
>> 2009-11-26 16:00:23 GMT LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process
>> failure
>>
>>  [fail]
>>
>> This is on Ubuntu 9.10. I've since tried to reinstall Postgres via Synaptic
>> (using complete removal), but I'm getting the same error.
>>
>> The data is unimportant, so is there any way of getting the server itself to
>> run again? I've been advised to create a new cluster, but if I can somehow
>> reset or recreate the default one that'd be the best option. Otherwise I'm
>> considering reinstalling the whole shebang which seems a bit drastic.

Before you do re-create the cluster, if the data is unimportant is there
any chance you could take a copy of it so it can be examined to see what
happened? PostgreSQL should recover cleanly after a hard crash, and
unless there's a storage subsystem issue or fsync was off this sort of
thing might indicate an issue with Pg's crash recovery. Having a copy of
the database would be really handy.

The whole data directory would need to be tar'ed up and gzip'd.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Invalid redo in checkpoint record

From
"Shakil Shaikh"
From: "Craig Ringer" <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>

> Before you do re-create the cluster, if the data is unimportant is there
> any chance you could take a copy of it so it can be examined to see what
> happened? PostgreSQL should recover cleanly after a hard crash, and
> unless there's a storage subsystem issue or fsync was off this sort of
> thing might indicate an issue with Pg's crash recovery. Having a copy of
> the database would be really handy.
>
> The whole data directory would need to be tar'ed up and gzip'd.

I would have gladly but unfortunately it's too late now! Unless you know of
any backup files or logs which may have survived the drop-create process?

If it ever happens again in the future I'll be sure to retain it.

Shak