Solaris Postgres

From
John R Pierce
Date:
anyone on the PG team privvy to Sun Solaris patches for postgres?   like
patch 138826-04 is Postgres 8.3.7 for Solaris10 Sparc...   138827-04 is
the same for Sol10 x86...

I'm curious if anyone has a clue how long before Sun releases PG 8.4.x
in Solaris 'patch' format ...

Re: Solaris Postgres

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
John R Pierce píše v út 15. 09. 2009 v 19:53 -0700:
> anyone on the PG team privvy to Sun Solaris patches for postgres?   like
> patch 138826-04 is Postgres 8.3.7 for Solaris10 Sparc...   138827-04 is
> the same for Sol10 x86...

What is wrong on this? It is standard Solaris way how to deliver fixes.

> I'm curious if anyone has a clue how long before Sun releases PG 8.4.x
> in Solaris 'patch' format ...

Currently S10 is shipped with three version (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) of
PostgreSQL. There is no plan to integrate PG8.4 into S10 at this moment.
However I'm finalizing integration into Nevada and 8.4 will appear in
the next OpenSolaris release.

    Zdenek

Re: Solaris Postgres

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> John R Pierce píše v út 15. 09. 2009 v 19:53 -0700:
>
>> anyone on the PG team privvy to Sun Solaris patches for postgres?   like
>> patch 138826-04 is Postgres 8.3.7 for Solaris10 Sparc...   138827-04 is
>> the same for Sol10 x86...
>>

> What is wrong on this? It is standard Solaris way how to deliver fixes.

nothing wrong, I was just describing the release mechanism for the sake
of any readers unfamiliar with how Solaris distributes postgres releases.

>> I'm curious if anyone has a clue how long before Sun releases PG 8.4.x
>> in Solaris 'patch' format ...
>>

> Currently S10 is shipped with three version (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) of
> PostgreSQL. There is no plan to integrate PG8.4 into S10 at this moment.
> However I'm finalizing integration into Nevada and 8.4 will appear in
> the next OpenSolaris release.

ok, I asked because I'm pretty sure Sol10 originally only came with 8.1,
and 8.2 then later 8.3 were added as part of incremental updates (don't
know offhand which update added what)

so, in mainstream solaris as opposed to opensolaris, 8.4 isn't likely to
be released any time soon?

I asked because we're working on an inhouse app using postgres, the team
wants to use 8.4...   I had previously packaged 8.3.7 in solaris package
format only to have it come out as a patch a month or two later, so I
was hoping to save myself the redundant effort.

Re: Solaris Postgres

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
John R Pierce píše v so 26. 09. 2009 v 09:44 -0700:

> >> I'm curious if anyone has a clue how long before Sun releases PG 8.4.x
> >> in Solaris 'patch' format ...
> >>

> > Currently S10 is shipped with three version (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) of
> > PostgreSQL. There is no plan to integrate PG8.4 into S10 at this moment.
> > However I'm finalizing integration into Nevada and 8.4 will appear in
> > the next OpenSolaris release.
> >

> ok, I asked because I'm pretty sure Sol10 originally only came with 8.1,
> and 8.2 then later 8.3 were added as part of incremental updates (don't
> know offhand which update added what)
>
> so, in mainstream solaris as opposed to opensolaris, 8.4 isn't likely to
> be released any time soon?

No. If somebody will approve to integrate it into S10 (some people does
not like idea to have four version of PostgreSQL inside :-). PG8.4 could
appear in S10 update 9 which will be released in first half of next
year. But, S10U9 new feature deadline window is coming...

> I asked because we're working on an inhouse app using postgres, the team
> wants to use 8.4...   I had previously packaged 8.3.7 in solaris package
> format only to have it come out as a patch a month or two later, so I
> was hoping to save myself the redundant effort.

You can use community build [1] which is compiled similar way as
official Solaris packages. Or you have to wait to Solaris next release.

        Zdenek

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/download/solaris

Re: Solaris Postgres

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I asked because we're working on an inhouse app using postgres, the team
>> wants to use 8.4...   I had previously packaged 8.3.7 in solaris package
>> format only to have it come out as a patch a month or two later, so I
>> was hoping to save myself the redundant effort.
>>

> You can use community build [1] which is compiled similar way as
> official Solaris packages. Or you have to wait to Solaris next release.

thats what we're using now, and in fact, my packages for 8.3 were built
from the community build prior to it being included in U7 or whatever.

the main thing I miss from the community builds is having the SMF
manifest [1], and I've figured out how to hack my own by using Sun's 8.x
release manifest and methods files as a template..

anyways, thanks for the update.

[1] http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/selfheal/sdev_intro.jsp

Re: Solaris Postgres

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
John R Pierce píše v so 26. 09. 2009 v 10:57 -0700:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> >> I asked because we're working on an inhouse app using postgres, the team
> >> wants to use 8.4...   I had previously packaged 8.3.7 in solaris package
> >> format only to have it come out as a patch a month or two later, so I
> >> was hoping to save myself the redundant effort.
> >>

> > You can use community build [1] which is compiled similar way as
> > official Solaris packages. Or you have to wait to Solaris next release.
> >

> thats what we're using now, and in fact, my packages for 8.3 were built
> from the community build prior to it being included in U7 or whatever.
>
> the main thing I miss from the community builds is having the SMF
> manifest [1], and I've figured out how to hack my own by using Sun's 8.x
> release manifest and methods files as a template..

Hmm, it is good point. I'm thinking to add SMF manifest into Pg
repository for next release. However I will discus it with Bjorn we
could add it into next minor release update.

    Zdenek