Can I Save images in postgres?

From
纪晓曦
Date:
Can I save images in the postgres? How to define? Does the format matters? Can I save JPG/PNG?How?

Re: Can I Save images in postgres?

From
John R Pierce
纪晓曦 wrote:
> Can I save images in the postgres? How to define? Does the format
> matters? Can I save JPG/PNG?How?

you can save images as BYTEA data, and the format is totally up to your
application, as postgres just treats it as a block of bytes.    however,
I generally find it easier to store my images on a file system, and just
put the file path in the database.

Re: Can I Save images in postgres?

From
Yaroslav Tykhiy
Date:
On 09/09/2009, at 10:43 AM, John R Pierce wrote:

> 纪晓曦 wrote:
>> Can I save images in the postgres? How to define? Does the format
>> matters? Can I save JPG/PNG?How?
>
> you can save images as BYTEA data, and the format is totally up to
> your application, as postgres just treats it as a block of bytes.
> however, I generally find it easier to store my images on a file
> system, and just put the file path in the database.

By the way, here's a relatively recent discussion of this issue:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-06/msg00599.php

Yar

Re: Can I Save images in postgres?

From
纪晓曦
Date:
Thank you very much. It seems it is better to save it on file system.

Can I save images in the postgres? How to define? Does the format matters? Can I save JPG/PNG?How?

you can save images as BYTEA data, and the format is totally up to your application, as postgres just treats it as a block of bytes.    however, I generally find it easier to store my images on a file system, and just put the file path in the database.

By the way, here's a relatively recent discussion of this issue:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-06/msg00599.php

Yar

Re: Can I Save images in postgres?

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2009-09-09, 纪晓曦 <sheepjxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> --001636834258521c91047319fd34
>
> Can I save images in the postgres?

yes.

> How to define?

a bytea column it probably a good start

> Does the format matters?

not to postgres.

base64 or hex encoding and storing in a text filed also works.

Date:
On 2009-09-09, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> 纪晓曦 wrote:
>> Can I save images in the postgres? How to define? Does the format
>> matters? Can I save JPG/PNG?How?
>
> you can save images as BYTEA data, and the format is totally up to your
> application, as postgres just treats it as a block of bytes.    however,
> I generally find it easier to store my images on a file system, and just
> put the file path in the database.

storing images in the database is useful when providing filesystem
access to a shared location is inconvenient, and also helps with data
integrity.