cluster replication over only http protocol

From
Szabolcs Márton
Date:
Hi,

somebody could give me an advice what should i look for?

my situation is:
- i have a running/working postgre databse
- i have to make another database exactly the same as the first (for development purposes)
- the two databases have only(!) http or https connection, nothing else !

is there a method to set-up a cluster (replication) using only http protocols?
(any other ports are closed, and filtered by firewalls)

they should be transaction safe as weel, very very little replication time.

is any feature in postgre support this, or any 3rd party tool ?
what kind of thing should i look for?

thanks in advance,
Szabi

Re: cluster replication over only http protocol

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
2009/8/25 Szabolcs Márton <marton.szabolcs@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>

> somebody could give me an advice what should i look for?
>
> my situation is:
> - i have a running/working postgre databse
> - i have to make another database exactly the same as the first (for
> development purposes)
> - the two databases have only(!) http or https connection, nothing else !

How does limiting access to http make this more secure / better?

Here's what i'd do.  Shut down apache, startup sshd on port 80, use tunneling.

Re: cluster replication over only http protocol

From
Sam Mason
Date:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 01:13:48AM +0200, Szabolcs MMMrton wrote:
> my situation is:
> - i have a running/working postgre databse
> - i have to make another database exactly the same as the first (for
> development purposes)
> - the two databases have only(!) http or https connection, nothing else !
>
> is there a method to set-up a cluster (replication) using only http
> protocols?

Are these two databases on different boxes?  Not sure how much it
matters either way, just write a simple CGI script that does a pg_dump
of the master database.  Have the other box download this and send it
through to its database to be synchronized every few hours.  Is that
enough for development purposes?  You could even pipe it through some
crypto code if you're worried about the data going missing.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/