keepalive problem with libpg connection

From
Juan Backson
Date:
Hi,

I am writing my own connection pool for libpq's connection.

My goal is to try to reduce the amount of time spent in opening and closing socket.   However, I see that Postgres would close my connection after every so often.

What is the best solution for that? Should I regularly send some "Select 1" to keep the connection alive or is there a better way to write a connection pool for libpq?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

JB

Re: keepalive problem with libpg connection

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Juan Backson<juanbackson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing my own connection pool for libpq's connection.
>
> My goal is to try to reduce the amount of time spent in opening and closing
> socket.   However, I see that Postgres would close my connection after every
> so often.

it's not postgres, most likely someone in the middle is closing
inactive connections, typically after 3-5 minutes.  check out the
keepalive settings in postgresql.conf to handle this on the tcp level
(better than throwing  a select 1).

merlin