xlog flus not satisfied

From
"Ow Mun Heng"

While doing

# VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE d_trr_dfh;

INFO:  vacuuming "xmms.d_trr_dfh"

ERROR:  xlog flush request 21F/9F57DF88 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 21F/924CE76C

CONTEXT:  writing block 2919652 of relation 17461/17462/17668

I see this in the logs

user= CONTEXT:  writing block 2919680 of relation 17461/17462/17668

user= WARNING:  could not write block 2919680 of 17461/17462/17668

DETAIL:  Multiple failures --- write error might be permanent.

user= LOG:  checkpoint starting: time

xlog flush request 21F/9F67DA80 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 21F/924CE76C

Does this mean I have disk issues?

As background, this is a new box mirrored from a separate box via rsync.

I’ve basically copied/rsync the entire postgresql server and data files over to create a mirror copy. After which, I’ve tried to do the vacuum and gotten into the above trouble.

Any ideas from the PG community? (or is rsync not the way to go for this?)

Re: xlog flus not satisfied

Date:
"Ow Mun Heng" <ow.mun.heng@wdc.com> writes:
> As background, this is a new box mirrored from a separate box via rsync.
> I've basically copied/rsync the entire postgresql server and data files over
> to create a mirror copy. After which, I've tried to do the vacuum and gotten
> into the above trouble.

Did you shut down the old postmaster while mirroring its files?  I could
believe seeing this type of problem as a consequence of getting
out-of-sync copies of different parts of the database.

            regards, tom lane

Re: xlog flus not satisfied

From
"Ow Mun Heng"
Date:
>> As background, this is a new box mirrored from a separate box via rsync.
>> I've basically copied/rsync the entire postgresql server and data files
>>over
>> to create a mirror copy. After which, I've tried to do the vacuum and
gotten
>> into the above trouble.

>Did you shut down the old postmaster while mirroring its files?  I could
>believe seeing this type of problem as a consequence of getting
>out-of-sync copies of different parts of the database.

You've caught me. I'm actually planning to down the master server during
lunch to re-sync it.

Aside : I wonder how pgcluster does it then, cos I thought they use rsync to
do replication.

Thanks. Will report back in couple hours.