org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: PANIC: could not write to log file 6

From
mzhang@ilww.com
Date:
Hello,

In our customer site, the following error occurred. I tried to find some indication what this means. Is this log file used for the roll back purpose? In what scenario that one gets such fatal error?

Please help!!!

Mzhang

Caused by: org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: SQLException; - nested throwable: (
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: PANIC: could not write to log file 6, segment 176 at offset 14991360, length 8192: Read-only file system)
   at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.BaseWrapperManagedConnection.checkException(BaseWrapperManagedConnection.java:636)
   at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.local.LocalManagedConnection.commit(LocalManagedConnection.java:73)
   at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.TxConnectionManager$LocalXAResource.commit(TxConnectionManager.java:905)
   ... 23 more
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: PANIC: could not write to log file 6, segment 176 at offset 14991360, length 8192: Read-only file system
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1525)
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1309)
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:188)
   at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.executeTransactionCommand(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:617)
   at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.commit(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:637)
   at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.local.LocalManagedConnection.commit(LocalManagedConnection.java:69)
   ... 24 more

Re: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: PANIC: could not write to log file 6

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 29 Jul 2009, at 14:43, mzhang@ilww.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In our customer site, the following error occurred. I tried to find
> some
> indication what this means. Is this log file used for the roll back
> purpose? In what scenario that one gets such fatal error?

It's likely part of the WAL, in which case there would be data loss if
it can't write there.

> Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: PANIC: could not write
> log file 6, segment 176 at offset 14991360, length 8192: Read-only
> file
> system

You missed the interesting part: "Read-only file system".

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4a71877c10135591761324!