initdb fails on Windows with encoding=LATIN1

From
"Abraham, Danny"
Date:
It runs fine with WIN1252.
The error message says something about lc_type.
Tried with various code pages: 850,1252. Nothing goes through.
Any thoughts?

Re: initdb fails on Windows with encoding=LATIN1

From
Diego Schulz
Date:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Abraham, Danny<danny_abraham@bmc.com> wrote:
> It runs fine with WIN1252.
> The error message says something about lc_type.
> Tried with various code pages: 850,1252. Nothing goes through.
> Any thoughts?

Would you care to mention the PostgreSQL version you are using?
Also, the exact copypasted error message would be handy.

regards,

diego

Re: initdb fails on Windows with encoding=LATIN1

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
2009/7/18 Diego Schulz <dschulz@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Abraham, Danny<danny_abraham@bmc.com> wrote:
>> It runs fine with WIN1252.
>> The error message says something about lc_type.
>> Tried with various code pages: 850,1252. Nothing goes through.
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Would you care to mention the PostgreSQL version you are using?
> Also, the exact copypasted error message would be handy.

it's depend on language support installed in windows - postgresql use
system services.

try to: initdb -D ..\clusters\clusterA --locale=english_britain -E UTF8

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Table_of_locales

regards
Pavel Stehule

> regards,
>
> diego

Re: initdb fails on Windows with encoding=LATIN1

From
"Abraham, Danny"
Date:
We do need LATIN1.

The error message is:

initdb: encoding mismatch
The encoding you selected (LATIN1) and the encoding that the
selected locale uses (WIN1252) do not match.  This would lead to
misbehavior in various character string processing functions.
Rerun initdb and either do not specify an encoding explicitly,
or choose a matching combination.

The version is 8.3.7.

It worked fine with 8.2.4

Re: initdb fails on Windows with encoding=LATIN1

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 04:35:43AM -0500, Abraham, Danny wrote:
> We do need LATIN1.
>
> The error message is:
>
> initdb: encoding mismatch
> The encoding you selected (LATIN1) and the encoding that the
> selected locale uses (WIN1252) do not match.  This would lead to
> misbehavior in various character string processing functions.
> Rerun initdb and either do not specify an encoding explicitly,
> or choose a matching combination.

Given that WIN1252 is a superset of Latin-1, I'm not sure if this a
real problem. Does windows actually support Latin-1 only without
supporting Win-1251 at the same time?

Have a nice day,