Ascending / Descending Indexes

From
Michael Gould

In some SQL engines the engine doesn't need to define both Ascending and Descending indexes on the same column.  Does Postgres need to have indexes defined for both Ascending and Descending sorts?  We use quite a few of these types of sorts.

Best Regards

Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904.226.0978
904.592.5250 fax

Re: Ascending / Descending Indexes

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Michael Gould wrote:
> In some SQL engines the engine doesn't need to define both Ascending and
> Descending indexes on the same column.  Does Postgres need to have indexes
> defined for both Ascending and Descending sorts?  We use quite a few of
> these types of sorts.

A single btree index can be used for both cases.  (Unless you want some
columns ascending and other columns descending, in which case you need
to work extra.)