Documentation - PgAdmin

From
db.subscriptions@shepherdhill.biz
Date:
Hi,

Congratulations on the release of version 8.4.

I am surprised that pgAdmin's help link is now directed to the
documentation website of postgresql. The embedded help CHM was not
packaged with it.

This implies that anytime one needs help on a simple syntax, one must
connect to the internet.

Was this by design or omission?

Regards,
Chris

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
justin
Date:
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:db.subscriptions@shepherdhill.biz">db.subscriptions@shepherdhill.biz</a>wrote: <blockquote
cite="mid:20090704212723.b68qzdj49w4wgckc@webmail.shepherdhill.biz"type="cite">Hi, <br /><br /> Congratulations on the
releaseof version 8.4. <br /><br /> I am surprised that pgAdmin's help link is now directed to the documentation
websiteof postgresql. The embedded help CHM was not packaged with it. <br /><br /> This implies that anytime one needs
withPgAdmin..   <br /><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
sureabout Enterprise DB package as it includes  pgAdmin and may have CHM file along for the ride<br /></font>

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 04/07/2009 23:58, justin wrote:
>> I am surprised that pgAdmin's help link is now directed to the
>> documentation website of postgresql. The embedded help CHM was not
>> packaged with it.
[snip]
> CHM has not been  packaged for as long as i know of with PgAdmin..
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

You can, however, download the help file separately from the PostgreSQL
site, and then point pgAdmin at the local copy.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
"Justin Graf"
Date:
over the last 3 years i can't recall it being included in the msi installer

Now the MSI installers from Enterprise DB is a One Click installer i'm not sure whats all included.  I have it installed on one or 2 machines but never really dug into what's all included to tell you what all in the new installer.

but the the pgAdmin installer from here
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0/win32/
As far I can think back this installer never included CHM.  I found it annoying but given this supports multiple versions of PG which CHM file does one include.

Quoting justin <justin@emproshunts.com>:

>  CHM has not been  packaged for as long as i know of with PgAdmin..

Justin,

Are you sure?

Windows help file CHM has been the default help file that pgAdmin
opens when you click on the help icon on the toolbar of pgAdmin
(uptill Postgresql's version 8.3.7) using MSI installer.

Or are you saying the MSI package maintainers included the CHM files
and not pgAdmin packagers? If that is the case, I should direct my
question to EnterpriseDB who is the new windows binary maintainer.

Regards,
Chris

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 05/07/2009 18:14, Justin Graf wrote:
> but the the pgAdmin installer from here
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0/win32/
> As far I can think back this installer never included CHM.  I found it
> annoying but given this supports multiple versions of PG which CHM file
> does one include.

As I recall, the pgInstaller did at one time include the .chm file;
however, as you say, it's been a number of years since that was the case.

I can't remember what the reason was for dropping it from the installer
- it may have been problems with building the .chm file in the first place.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Sachin Srivastava
Date:
over the last 3 years i can't recall it being included in the msi installer

Now the MSI installers from Enterprise DB is a One Click installer i'm not sure whats all included.  I have it installed on one or 2 machines but never really dug into what's all included to tell you what all in the new installer.
EnterpriseDB One Click installer (for Windows) does include the chm for (English, Czech and French). There are separate menu entries for each of it also.

but the the pgAdmin installer from here
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0/win32/
As far I can think back this installer never included CHM.  I found it annoying but given this supports multiple versions of PG which CHM file does one include.

Quoting justin <justin@emproshunts.com>:

>  CHM has not been  packaged for as long as i know of with PgAdmin..

Justin,

Are you sure?

Windows help file CHM has been the default help file that pgAdmin
opens when you click on the help icon on the toolbar of pgAdmin
(uptill Postgresql's version 8.3.7) using MSI installer.

Or are you saying the MSI package maintainers included the CHM files
and not pgAdmin packagers? If that is the case, I should direct my
question to EnterpriseDB who is the new windows binary maintainer.

Regards,
Chris

Sachin Srivastava
www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le dimanche 5 juillet 2009 à 19:39:09, Raymond O'Donnell a écrit :
> On 05/07/2009 18:14, Justin Graf wrote:
> > but the the pgAdmin installer from here
> > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0/win32/
> > As far I can think back this installer never included CHM.  I found it
> > annoying but given this supports multiple versions of PG which CHM file
> > does one include.
>
> As I recall, the pgInstaller did at one time include the .chm file;
> however, as you say, it's been a number of years since that was the case.
>
> I can't remember what the reason was for dropping it from the installer
> - it may have been problems with building the .chm file in the first place.

If I remember well, the reason was the installer would be much bigger if we
still included it. And we would also have to carry the pgAdmin CHM, and the
Slony one, and the EnterpriseDB one and now the Greenplum one. And what about
translations? If we do this, 90% of the installer size would be for docs. Kind
of strange if you want my opinion.

The way we do it now allows you to read the docs on the Internet. But you can
grab of copy of those, put them on your hard disk, and change the preferences
to show them instead of the internet ones.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

GISVM Server pre-release available

From
Ricardo Pinho

Dear all,

The first public pre-release version of “GIS Virtual Machine Server” is available at:

http://gisvm.com

GISVM Server is another product based on the GISVM new concept for a Free Open Source GIS Software distribution.

With it you get a full feature Free (dom) GIS Server, ready for you to use with your favorite GIS desktop application!

GISVM Server includes:

- Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition JeOS (Just enough OS)

- LAMP Server bundle (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP)

- Samba File Server

- Tomcat Java Server

- PostgreSQL database server

- PostGIS (PostgreSQL spatial extension), ZigGIS and FDO ready!

- Mapserver

- Geoserver

- Deegree

- Webmin (a web-based interface for GISVM Server administration)

If you think this is a useful and interesting product, please help us with your participation on the beta testing forum board:

http://gisvm.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Thank you for your time and collaboration!

Best regards,
Ricardo Pinho

Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
:
> Quoting Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> > If I remember well, the reason was the installer would be much bigger if
> > we still included it. And we would also have to carry the pgAdmin CHM,
> > and the Slony one, and the EnterpriseDB one and now the Greenplum one.
> > And what about translations? If we do this, 90% of the installer size
> > would be for docs. Kind
> > of strange if you want my opinion.
>
> I totally disagree with you. I am asking for core postgreSQL CHM and
> not Slony, Greenplum or EnterpriseDB. And postgreSQL CHM is only about
> 3MB.
>
> If I want Slony, Greenplum or EnterpriseDB, I will go to their sites.

It's not because *you* don't need the other CHM that *others* don't need them
too. We supply quick access to each of these manuals, so if we bundle one,
others will ask we bundle the other CHM.

Anyways, this question should better be asked on the pgAdmin support mailing
list (I CC-ed them) than on the pgsql-general list.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Documentation - PgAdmin

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> If I remember well, the reason was the installer would be much bigger if we
> still included it. And we would also have to carry the pgAdmin CHM, and the
> Slony one, and the EnterpriseDB one and now the Greenplum one. And what about
> translations? If we do this, 90% of the installer size would be for docs. Kind
> of strange if you want my opinion.

Yeah, that's a major part of it. The manual hasn't been in pgAdmin for
something like 15 months. This is because:

- It's difficult and error-prone to merge the manuals into one CHM file
- We (== I) had to update the CHM file whenever PostgreSQL or Slony was updated.
- Bundling the manual bloated the distribution size
- Bundling the manual pretty much prevented the manual being translated.
- The bundled manual was no use unless you used the latest version of
PostgreSQL.
- The bundled manual was of little use to EnterpriseDB or Greenplum users.

> The way we do it now allows you to read the docs on the Internet. But you can
> grab of copy of those, put them on your hard disk, and change the preferences
> to show them instead of the internet ones.

Yes - in fact it's even more flexible than that:

PG help path - This option is used to specify the path to the
PostgreSQL help files. This may be a URL or directory containing the
HTML format help files (note that some browsers may require
file:///path/to/local/files/ notation, whilst others require
/path/to/local/files/ notation), or the path to a Compiled HTML Help
(.chm) file (on Windows), an HTML Help project (.hhp) file, or a Zip
archive containing the HTML files and the HTML Help project file. The
PostgreSQL Help is used when selected from the Help menu, or when
working with many database objects on PostgreSQL servers.

Similar options are present for EnterpriseDB, Greenplum and Slony help.

--
Dave Page