DB Migration 8.4 -> 8.3

From
Eoghan Murray
Date:
I unintentionally installed 8.4beta2 on a server (using yum), while I
run 8.3.7 on my dev machine.
The 8.3 version of pg_dump does not work with the server, even with
the -i option:
   8.3: pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  column
"reltriggers" does not exist
the 8.4 pg_dump works okay, but then the 8.3 version of pg_restore is
not able to restore the resultant databases:
   8.3: pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a
valid archive

How can I migrate a database from 8.4 to 8.3?
I can't see any versioning options in pg_dump:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pgdump.html

Thanks!

Re: DB Migration 8.4 -> 8.3

From
Glyn Astill

> The 8.3 version of pg_dump does not work with the server,
> even with
> the -i option:
>    8.3: pg_dump: Error message from server:
> ERROR:  column
> "reltriggers" does not exist
> the 8.4 pg_dump works okay, but then the 8.3 version of
> pg_restore is
> not able to restore the resultant databases:
>    8.3: pg_restore: [archiver] input file
> does not appear to be a
> valid archive

Try the 8.4 pg_restore against the 8.3 server

Re: DB Migration 8.4 -> 8.3

Date:
Eoghan Murray <eoghanomurray@gmail.com> writes:
> How can I migrate a database from 8.4 to 8.3?

The only way is to dump to text (no -Fc or -Ft) with 8.4's pg_dump,
and then manually edit the file until 8.3 will take it.

>    8.3: pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a
> valid archive

It's possible here that your only mistake was using -Fc.  That format
isn't necessarily backwards-compatible.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DB Migration 8.4 -> 8.3

From
Eoghan Murray
Date:
2009/6/15 Glyn Astill <gl*******@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Try the 8.4 pg_restore against the 8.3 server

Thanks!, that worked!
FWIW I set up an ssh connection with the reverse/remote forwarding
option -R

Also the error message on pg_restore should have read:

    8.3: pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.11) in file
header