loops

From
"Esneiker"

Hello, can anybody tell me how to do loops in postgres?

Thanks.

Ing. Esneiker Enriquez Cabrera.

Excelencia en Software.

Desoft S.A. en Ciego de Ávila.

Joaquín de Agüero Esq. Calle 2. Ciego de Ávila. Cuba.

email:eenriquez@cav.desoft.cu

Re: loops

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 11:32:03AM -0400, Esneiker wrote:
> Hello, can anybody tell me how to do loops in postgres?

As usually, the fine manual:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/plpgsql-control-structures.html

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: loops

From
John R Pierce
Esneiker wrote:

> Hello, can anybody tell me how to do loops in postgres?

SQL, the query language, has no such control structures.  SQL is a
'declarative' language rather than a procedural one.

pl/pgsql stored procedures do, however, as they embed SQL in a
procedural context.
depesz posted the link to the appropriate docs.

Re: loops

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Esneiker wrote:
>>
>> Hello, can anybody tell me how to do loops in postgres?
>>

> SQL, the query language, has no such control structures.  SQL is a
> 'declarative' language rather than a procedural one.
>
> pl/pgsql stored procedures do, however, as they embed SQL in a procedural
> context. depesz posted the link to the appropriate docs.

you can simulate simple loops with 'generate_series' and other set
returning functions like unnest or equivalent:

insert into foo(foo_id) select generate_series(1,10) v;
insert  into foo(val) select unnest(current_schemas(true));