GRANT all to a super user

From
"Gauthier, Dave"

What is the (is there a) grant command that I can use to create a super user without having to specify all the DB objects?

grant all on database foo to thesuper;

and

grant all privileges on database foo to thesuper;

Don’t work.

I know I can achieve what I want by submitting a grant for each and every object in the DB.  But is there a way to do it all with one command, maybe something like...

“grant all privileges on everything to thesuper”  ?

Thanks

-dave

Re: GRANT all to a super user

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

there are not similar statement

if you would to grant rights to more database objects, you have to use
script or stored procedure.

regards
Pavel Stehule

2009/5/27 Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com>:
> What is the (is there a) grant command that I can use to create a super user
> without having to specify all the DB objects?
>

> grant all on database foo to thesuper;
>
> and
>
> grant all privileges on database foo to thesuper;
>

> Don’t work.
>

> I know I can achieve what I want by submitting a grant for each and every
> object in the DB.  But is there a way to do it all with one command, maybe
> something like...
>

> “grant all privileges on everything to thesuper”  ?
>

> Thanks
>
> -dave

Re: GRANT all to a super user

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
What is the (is there a) grant command that I can use to create a super user without having to specify all the DB objects?

grant all on database foo to thesuper;

and

grant all privileges on database foo to thesuper;

Don’t work.

I know I can achieve what I want by submitting a grant for each and every object in the DB.  But is there a way to do it all with one command, maybe something like...

“grant all privileges on everything to thesuper”  ?

Thanks

-dave

There is a '-s' option for createuser that designates the user account as a superuser.

You can use 'alter user' or 'alter role' to give superuser authority to an existing account:

alter user [account name] with superuser;

I think the superuser role applies to all databases.

Andrew

Re: GRANT all to a super user

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2009-05-27, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> --_000_482E80323A35A54498B8B70FF2B87980040AEFF544azsmsx504amrc_
>
> What is the (is there a) grant command that I can use to create a super use=
> r without having to specify all the DB objects?

SUPERUSER cant be GRANTed, it's done with ALTER USER instead..

ALTER USER fred WITH SUPERUSER.

as a superuser fred can now do anything that other superusers (eg, "postgres")
can do. ( ie: create users, etc..) if you don't want that you may instead want
to grant fred the role of the database ownwer,

assuming the database owner is "dave"

GRANT dave TO fred;

use WITH ADMIN OPTION at the end if you want to let fred invite bill
to the party too.