Multiple character encodings within a single database/table?

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
If I have the C locale, can I have multiple character encodings within:
1.  A single database?
2.  A single table?

More specifically, I would like to be able to have Unicode columns and
ASCII text columns within the same table.  Is this possible?  If so, how
do I achieve it?

It was not clear to me from:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/multibyte.html

It seems to me from this statement:
"It can be overridden when you create a database, so you can have
multiple databases each with a different character set."
That it may be database wide, but I am not sure that it is not possible
to have both ordinary char and Unicode in the same table.

Possible or not?

Re: Multiple character encodings within a single database/table?

Date:
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
> If I have the C locale, can I have multiple character encodings within:
> 1.  A single database?
> 2.  A single table?

No.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Multiple character encodings within a single database/table?

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Dann Corbit wrote:

> If I have the C locale, can I have multiple character encodings
> within:
> 1.  A single database?
> 2.  A single table?

No.

> More specifically, I would like to be able to have Unicode columns and
> ASCII text columns within the same table.  Is this possible?  If so,
> how
> do I achieve it?

Any valid ascii string is also a valid utf8 string. You can probably
just use utf8 for everything.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Multiple character encodings within a single database/table?

Date:
Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Dann Corbit wrote:
>
> > If I have the C locale, can I have multiple character encodings
> > within:
> > 1.  A single database?
> > 2.  A single table?
>
> No.
>

> > More specifically, I would like to be able to have Unicode columns and
> > ASCII text columns within the same table.  Is this possible?  If so,
> > how
> > do I achieve it?
>
> Any valid ascii string is also a valid utf8 string. You can probably
> just use utf8 for everything.

More specifically, ASCII bytes are valid UTF8 values.