Where and What To Do for JDBC

From
ray
Date:
I am installing PostgreSQL 8.3.  I chose to include JDBC.  During the
installation, this message was included:
JDBC
The JDBC drivers are installed into the jdbc\ subdirectory of the main
installation directory by default. You may wish to add this folder to
the CLASSPATH environment variable to allow the drivers to be found
automatically by your Java programs.

I would like to put the location in my classpath.  But I do not know
which path the message is relating to; I have several jdbc paths
around the postgresql path due to many attempts at installation.

What is meant by "main installation directory"?  So I may better
identify the correct folder, what subfolders might the correct JDBC
folder have?

TIA,
Ray

Re: Where and What To Do for JDBC

From
John R Pierce
ray wrote:
> I am installing PostgreSQL 8.3.  I chose to include JDBC.  During the
> installation, this message was included:
> JDBC
> The JDBC drivers are installed into the jdbc\ subdirectory of the main
> installation directory by default. You may wish to add this folder to
> the CLASSPATH environment variable to allow the drivers to be found
> automatically by your Java programs.
>
> I would like to put the location in my classpath.  But I do not know
> which path the message is relating to; I have several jdbc paths
> around the postgresql path due to many attempts at installation.
>
> What is meant by "main installation directory"?  So I may better
> identify the correct folder, what subfolders might the correct JDBC
> folder have?

you're looking for postgresql-jdbc-xxxxxxxx.jar

I find you generally need to name the file in the classpath.  for
instance, for postgres 8.3 and java 1.5, I use...

    export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/path/to/postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc3.jar

and then on my java command lines...

    java -classpath $CLASSPATH ......

where the .... is the rest of what would otherwise be there.

if you're on MS Windows,, replace `export` with SET, and the $ with %
(and use two %% if its in a .bat file)...oh, and probably a ; insteadd
of a : in the set CLASSPATH= thing...