debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
Hi all

A lot of time since the last debugging activity.
I don't remember how to debug. I thought I had to set a breaking point in the function i want to debug,
and then call that function.
I'm doing this, and from another query window, i call the function. But it returns me the result, but it doesn't stop inside the function in order to debug it.
What am i doing wrong?

thx

Josep

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
Glyn Astill

--- On Mon, 23/3/09, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of time since the last debugging activity.
> I don't remember how to debug. I thought I had to set a
> breaking point in
> the function i want to debug,
> and then call that function.
> I'm doing this, and from another query window, i call
> the function. But it
> returns me the result, but it doesn't stop inside the
> function in order to
> debug it.
> What am i doing wrong?

Perhaps you've not got the pldebugger contrib module installed and run the sql script to create the debug functions?

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
mmm...  my database schema have the pldbg functions.

2009/3/23 Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>

--- On Mon, 23/3/09, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of time since the last debugging activity.
> I don't remember how to debug. I thought I had to set a
> breaking point in
> the function i want to debug,
> and then call that function.
> I'm doing this, and from another query window, i call
> the function. But it
> returns me the result, but it doesn't stop inside the
> function in order to
> debug it.
> What am i doing wrong?

Perhaps you've not got the pldebugger contrib module installed and run the sql script to create the debug functions?

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> mmm...  my database schema have the pldbg functions.

Do you have something like this in your postgresql.conf:

shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.so'

?

If not, add it, and restart the server (if you're on Windows, use
plugin_debugger.dll)

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
yes, i have:
shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll'        # (change requires restart)

2009/3/23 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> mmm...  my database schema have the pldbg functions.

Do you have something like this in your postgresql.conf:

shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.so'

?

If not, add it, and restart the server (if you're on Windows, use
plugin_debugger.dll)

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
it is Postgres Plus 8.3

Postgres 8.3.4 build 1400

Date:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes, i have:
> shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll'        #
> (change requires restart)

Whats the output from:

select * from pldbg_get_proxy_info();

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
"serverversionstr","serverversionnum","proxyapiver","serverprocessid"
"PostgreSQL 8.3devel on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)",80300,3,4220

Date:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> "serverversionstr","serverversionnum","proxyapiver","serverprocessid"
> "PostgreSQL 8.3devel on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
> (mingw-special)",80300,3,4220

That should work, despite the mismatch in build envs (ignore the devel
bit - that just tells us what version of Postgres the plugin was
compiled against).

What happens if you right-click a function in pgAdmin and select the
Debug option (not the Set Breakpoint option)? If that doesn't work,
can you please set the pgAdmin log level to debug, retry the test and
then send the log over?

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
that way I can debug =)

i attach the pgadmin.log  zipped

2009/3/23 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> "serverversionstr","serverversionnum","proxyapiver","serverprocessid"
> "PostgreSQL 8.3devel on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
> (mingw-special)",80300,3,4220

That should work, despite the mismatch in build envs (ignore the devel
bit - that just tells us what version of Postgres the plugin was
compiled against).

What happens if you right-click a function in pgAdmin and select the
Debug option (not the Set Breakpoint option)? If that doesn't work,
can you please set the pgAdmin log level to debug, retry the test and
then send the log over?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> that way I can debug =)

OK, so in that case can I get a log of an attempt to set a global
breakpoint please?

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
in the previous action, first of all I made a breakpoint and called the function from a query window.
nothing happened, the only thing i got: the result.
All actions are in the previous log.

Is it what you want?

2009/3/23 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> that way I can debug =)

OK, so in that case can I get a log of an attempt to set a global
breakpoint please?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
well, now a log with only trying to debug setting a breakpoint

Date:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, now a log with only trying to debug setting a breakpoint

Hmmm - do you still have the demo schema on that server? Can you try
setting a breakpoint on the list_emp() function, and then calling it
please?

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
good morning,

I have a demo database, but it's empty.
if you tell me where is the creation script, I will try it

2009/3/23 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, now a log with only trying to debug setting a breakpoint

Hmmm - do you still have the demo schema on that server? Can you try
setting a breakpoint on the list_emp() function, and then calling it
please?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
Ooops,   I haven't realized the second schema, I've found the function.
Here you are your test log.

Date:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:50 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooops,   I haven't realized the second schema, I've found the function.
> Here you are your test log.

OK, I think we've tracked down the problem. Can I send you some
updated DLLs to try offlist?

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
i've just upgraded the server to 8.3.7 holding the same data directory

select * from pldbg_get_proxy_info();
"serverversionstr","serverversionnum","proxyapiver","serverprocessid"
"PostgreSQL 8.3devel on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)",80300,3,2948

is it ok for testing your dll's?

2009/3/24 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:50 AM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooops,   I haven't realized the second schema, I've found the function.
> Here you are your test log.

OK, I think we've tracked down the problem. Can I send you some
updated DLLs to try offlist?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
josep porres
Date:
by the way, after upgrading, i get the same behaviour
even executing the function in a query window created after setting the breakpoint.

Date:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM, josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've just upgraded the server to 8.3.7 holding the same data directory
>
> select * from pldbg_get_proxy_info();
> "serverversionstr","serverversionnum","proxyapiver","serverprocessid"
> "PostgreSQL 8.3devel on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
> (mingw-special)",80300,3,2948
>
> is it ok for testing your dll's?

Yes. I'll sent them offlist if that's OK?

--
Dave Page

Re: debugging in pgadmin

From
berdam
Date:
asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasd
asdfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

josep porres escreveu:
> Ooops,   I haven't realized the second schema, I've found the function.
> Here you are your test log.
>
> 2009/3/24 josep porres <jmporres@gmail.com <mailto:jmporres@gmail.com>>
>
>     good morning,
>
>     I have a demo database, but it's empty.
>     if you tell me where is the creation script, I will try it
>
>     2009/3/23 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org <mailto:dpage@pgadmin.org>>
>
>         On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM, josep porres
>         <jmporres@gmail.com <mailto:jmporres@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         > well, now a log with only trying to debug setting a breakpoint
>
>         Hmmm - do you still have the demo schema on that server? Can
>         you try
>         setting a breakpoint on the list_emp() function, and then
>         calling it
>         please?
>

>         --
>         Dave Page
>         EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Uberdam Cavaletti
Formado em Tecnologia da informação - Unoesc - Xxe
Pós graduado em Desenvolvimento Java - Unoesc - Xxe

Acesse  http://www.curricular.com.br/berdam
Acesse  http://passandoveneno.blogspot.com