Question about \copy

From
John Wang

I have a table, for example, Product. It's index is Product_index.

If I use \copy to load data into the table:

\copy Product from data.txt

Will the index, Product_index, also be updated with the new data during "copy"?

Thanks.

Re: Question about \copy

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM, John Wang <johnw822003@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a table, for example, Product. It's index is Product_index.
>
> If I use \copy to load data into the table:
>
> \copy Product from data.txt
>
> Will the index, Product_index, also be updated with the new data during "copy"?

Yep.

Re: Question about \copy

From
"F. Jovan Jester"
Date:
On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:21 PM, John Wang wrote:
> I have a table, for example, Product. It's index is Product_index.
>
> If I use \copy to load data into the table:
>
> \copy Product from data.txt
>
> Will the index, Product_index, also be updated with the new data
> during "copy"?

Yes, and indexes are updated row by row even if bulk loading with
COPY. That's why when you're loading large amounts of data the index
updating and constraint checking can slow it down. See the manual info
on populating:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/populate.html

-Jovan