postgresql and LDAP

From
JP Fletcher
Date:
Hi,

I've just compiled 8.3.6 with ldap support yet I get

'FATAL:  missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file'

when I try to connect.

There weren't any errors during the compile, and ldd shows LDAP:

postgres@schema-mgmt:/opt/pgdata/log/pgsql83$ ldd
/opt/dbs/pgsql83/bin/postmaster | grep ldap
    libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0xb7fd5000)

This is on ubuntu linux, and the only configure option besides prefix
was '--with-ldap'

--
JP Fletcher
Database Administrator

Re: postgresql and LDAP

Date:
JP Fletcher <jpfletch@ca.afilias.info> writes:
> I've just compiled 8.3.6 with ldap support yet I get
> 'FATAL:  missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file'
> when I try to connect.

Can't help you much when you don't show us the pg_hba.conf file ;-)

However, a tip that might help is that there should be more information
about the problem in the postmaster log.  We intentionally don't send
details about the conf file's contents to the client...

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql and LDAP

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> JP Fletcher <jpfletch@ca.afilias.info> writes:
>> I've just compiled 8.3.6 with ldap support yet I get
>> 'FATAL:  missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file'
>> when I try to connect.
>
> Can't help you much when you don't show us the pg_hba.conf file ;-)
>
> However, a tip that might help is that there should be more information
> about the problem in the postmaster log.  We intentionally don't send
> details about the conf file's contents to the client...

Perhaps we should send a HINT to the client saying to consult the postmaster
logs?

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: postgresql and LDAP

From
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Date:
2009/3/10 Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
>> JP Fletcher <jpfletch@ca.afilias.info> writes:
>>> I've just compiled 8.3.6 with ldap support yet I get
>>> 'FATAL:  missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file'
>>> when I try to connect.
>>
>> Can't help you much when you don't show us the pg_hba.conf file ;-)
>>
>> However, a tip that might help is that there should be more information
>> about the problem in the postmaster log.  We intentionally don't send
>> details about the conf file's contents to the client...
>
> Perhaps we should send a HINT to the client saying to consult the postmaster
> logs?

IMHO I think is quite dangerous because someone with experience could guess
some security details.
But, could be configure the client verbose from the postgresql.conf,
in that case
could be useful.

> --
>  Gregory Stark
>  EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com
>  Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!

      Emanuel Calvo Franco
        Sumate al ARPUG !
      (www.postgres-arg.org -
         www.arpug.com.ar)
    ArPUG / AOSUG Member
   Postgresql Support & Admin

Re: postgresql and LDAP

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
Emanuel Calvo Franco <postgres.arg@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/3/10 Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>:
>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>> However, a tip that might help is that there should be more information
>>> about the problem in the postmaster log.  We intentionally don't send
>>> details about the conf file's contents to the client...
>>
>> Perhaps we should send a HINT to the client saying to consult the postmaster
>> logs?

egg on my face -- we already *do* have such a hint:

        ereport(FATAL,
                (errcode(ERRCODE_CONFIG_FILE_ERROR),
                 errmsg("missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file"),
                 errhint("See server log for details.")));

> IMHO I think is quite dangerous because someone with experience could guess
> some security details.

How?

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: postgresql and LDAP

From
JP Fletcher
Date:
FYI, I did see the message returned to my client, and did look in the
server logs.  Trouble was, the message in the log was no more helpful
than the one returned to my client, with the exception of pointing me to
the line number in pg_hba.conf.

--
JP Fletcher
Database Administrator