How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH
Date:
Hi,
I want to find the time taken by this process ...retrieving data from oracle database using java and copying that to
postgresusing copy.
So I need something like this

Start_Time|java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy from stdin with delimiter ',' null 'NULL'" test| End_time

so that the output is like this

Start_time 2009-02-19 11:30:15
End_time 2009-02-19 11:40:15

This should give me the time this process started and the time it ended. Is  that possible?

Thanks
Sharmila

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
Mirko Pace
Date:
Why not call a function that make an insert as "insert into dummy values ('Start',now())" ?

Mirko

Date:
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi,
> I want to find the time taken by this process ...retrieving data from oracle database using java and copying that to
postgresusing copy.
> So I need something like this

> Start_Time|java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy from stdin with delimiter ',' null 'NULL'" test| End_time

time java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy from stdin with delimiter ',' null 'NULL'" test

Or do you really insist on doing the timestamp subtraction by hand?

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH

> > I want to find the time taken by this process
> ...retrieving data from oracle database using java and
> copying that to postgres using copy.
> > So I need something like this
>
> > Start_Time|java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy
> from stdin with delimiter ',' null
> 'NULL'" test| End_time
>
> time java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy from stdin
> with delimiter ',' null 'NULL'" test
>
> Or do you really insist on doing the timestamp subtraction
> by hand?

No...I would definitely prefer to get the time elapsed between the start of the java program and the end of the copy
command...Is that possible ? If not at least the start and the end time so tht i can do the calculation myself

Thanks
Sharmila

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:40 AM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:

> [...]

Tom just showed you how.  Use run full piped command with the unix
'time' utility.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
866.518.9273 x 260
Location: US/Pacific
IRC: mage2k

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH
Date:
Thanks all
-Sharmila

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:40 AM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:
>
> > --- On Thu, 2/19/09, Tom Lane
> <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> >> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How to pipe the psql copy
> command to Unix 'Date' command
> >> To: sharmi_jo@yahoo.com
> <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> >> Date: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 12:31 PM
> >> SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo@yahoo.com>
> >> ...retrieving data from oracle database using java
> and
> >> copying that to postgres using copy.

> "copy dummy
> >> from stdin with delimiter ',' null
> >> 'NULL'" test| End_time
> >>
> >> time java testCode ...|psql -c "copy dummy
> from stdin
> >> with delimiter ',' null
> 'NULL'" test
> >>
> >> Or do you really insist on doing the timestamp
> subtraction
> >> by hand?
> >>

> > No...I would definitely prefer to get the time elapsed
> between the start of the java program and the end of the
> copy command... Is that possible ? If not at least the start
> and the end time so tht i can do the calculation myself
>
> Tom just showed you how.  Use run full piped command with
> the unix 'time' utility.
>
> Erik Jones, Database Administrator
> Engine Yard
> Support, Scalability, Reliability
> 866.518.9273 x 260
> Location: US/Pacific
> IRC: mage2k

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
R Smith
Date:
On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:07 AM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:

> Thanks all
> -Sharmila

I've used UNIX for years and I don't know what you mean by 'use run
full piped command'.
Sure I know pipes and scripting, but ?
I would put everything needed w/ a shell script, calls to java & PG,
and set a var to unixtime at start and subtract it from the ending
unixtime.

If nothing else, I might pick up a Linux trick!

Thanks,
Ralph Smith

Date:
On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:30 PM, R Smith wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:07 AM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:
>
>> Thanks all
>> -Sharmila

Sorry, I'd started typing the sentence one say, back spaced and went
to type it another and it didn't really come out right.  It should
have been:

Run the full piped command with the unix 'time' utility.

I.e. if the full piped command was: cmd1 someargs | cmd2 someargs2 |
cmd3 someargs3

then run: time cmd1 someargs | cmd2 someargs2 | cmd3 someargs3

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
866.518.9273 x 260
Location: US/Pacific
IRC: mage2k

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:30 PM, R Smith wrote:
>

> > On Feb 19, 2009, at 11:07 AM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks all
> >> -Sharmila
> >>

> >> --- On Thu, 2/19/09, Erik Jones

> copy command to Unix 'Date' command
> <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>, "General postgres mailing
> list" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>

> <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> psql copy
> list"
> 12:31 PM
> <sharmi_jo@yahoo.com>
> this process
> database using java

> -c
> null

> "copy dummy

> timestamp

> time elapsed
> end of the
> least the start
> calculation myself

> command with

> > I've used UNIX for years and I don't know what
> you mean by 'use run full piped command'.
> > Sure I know pipes and scripting, but ?
> > I would put everything needed w/ a shell script, calls
> to java & PG, and set a var to unixtime at start and
> subtract it from the ending unixtime.
> >
> > If nothing else, I might pick up a Linux trick!
>
> Sorry, I'd started typing the sentence one say, back
> spaced and went to type it another and it didn't really
> come out right.  It should have been:
>
> Run the full piped command with the unix 'time'
> utility.
>
> I.e. if the full piped command was: cmd1 someargs | cmd2
> someargs2 | cmd3 someargs3
>
> then run: time cmd1 someargs | cmd2 someargs2 | cmd3
> someargs3

Is it possible to sent this 'time' output to a file...
If I try
time cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2 > output.log

it doesn't sent the "time" to the file...
Why?

Thanks
Sharmila

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
John R Pierce
Date:
SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:
> Is it possible to sent this 'time' output to a file...
> If I try
> time cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2 > output.log
>
> it doesn't sent the "time" to the file...

time (cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2) > output.log

the way you had it, it was only timing cmd1.  with the ( ), its spawning
a subshell which should run both commands piped...

Re: How to pipe the psql copy command to Unix 'Date' command

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On Monday 02 March 2009, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:
> > Is it possible to sent this 'time' output to a file...
> > If I try
> > time cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2 > output.log
> >
> > it doesn't sent the "time" to the file...
>
> time (cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2) > output.log
>

> the way you had it, it was only timing cmd1.  with the ( ), its spawning
> a subshell which should run both commands piped...

time also reports on stderr, not stdout.

time (cmd1 someargs1 | cmd2 someargs2) > output.log 2>&1

--
Even a sixth-grader can figure out that you can’t borrow money to pay off
your debt