PGSQL and Javascript

From
Reg Me Please
Date:
Hello all.

Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
With no application server intervention, I mean.
Just like libq allows access from C/C++.

--
Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: PGSQL and Javascript

From
Allan Kamau
Date:
May be Javascript + JDBC not sure.

But the question is why would you want to do so?
Javascript can be read easily by the user having the javascript
running on their browser. JDBC or any other database connecting client
will want to some how authenticate the user in most cases the
username, password and maybe remote IP is used. This mean that your
javascript will probably contain username and password in order to use
JDBC to connect to the DB, is this favourable?

Allan.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
> With no application server intervention, I mean.
> Just like libq allows access from C/C++.
>
> --
> Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
> weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: [INTERFACES] PGSQL and Javascript

From
Sean Davis
Date:
No.  I'm not sure how that could be done given the security concerns.

Sean

Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
With no application server intervention, I mean.
Just like libq allows access from C/C++.

--
Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: PGSQL and Javascript

From
Reg Me Please
Date:
I'd like to write part of the application in Javascript, server side, not in
the web page.

On Friday 30 January 2009 12:53:05 Allan Kamau wrote:
> May be Javascript + JDBC not sure.
>
> But the question is why would you want to do so?
> Javascript can be read easily by the user having the javascript
> running on their browser. JDBC or any other database connecting client
> will want to some how authenticate the user in most cases the
> username, password and maybe remote IP is used. This mean that your
> javascript will probably contain username and password in order to use
> JDBC to connect to the DB, is this favourable?
>
> Allan.
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
> > With no application server intervention, I mean.
> > Just like libq allows access from C/C++.
> >
> > --
> > Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
> > weisse Streifen, grüner Rand
> >
> > --

Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: [INTERFACES] PGSQL and Javascript

From
Sean Davis

I'd like to write part of the application in Javascript, server side, not in
the web page.

I missed your point.  Do a google search for javascript interpreters in the language of your choice.  For example, there is Rhino for java.

Sean

On Friday 30 January 2009 12:53:05 Allan Kamau wrote:
> May be Javascript + JDBC not sure.
>
> But the question is why would you want to do so?
> Javascript can be read easily by the user having the javascript
> running on their browser. JDBC or any other database connecting client
> will want to some how authenticate the user in most cases the
> username, password and maybe remote IP is used. This mean that your
> javascript will probably contain username and password in order to use
> JDBC to connect to the DB, is this favourable?
>
> Allan.
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
> > With no application server intervention, I mean.
> > Just like libq allows access from C/C++.
> >
> > --
> > Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
> > weisse Streifen, grüner Rand
> >
> > --

Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: [INTERFACES] PGSQL and Javascript

From
Reg Me Please
Date:
I already have a JS interpreter (spidermonkey) but there is no PGSQL
interfacing API!
This'd be why I'm asking.

On Friday 30 January 2009 13:24:59 Sean Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I'd like to write part of the application in Javascript, server side, not
> > in
> > the web page.
>
> I missed your point.  Do a google search for javascript interpreters in the
> language of your choice.  For example, there is Rhino for java.
>
> Sean
>
> > On Friday 30 January 2009 12:53:05 Allan Kamau wrote:
> > > May be Javascript + JDBC not sure.
> > >
> > > But the question is why would you want to do so?
> > > Javascript can be read easily by the user having the javascript
> > > running on their browser. JDBC or any other database connecting client
> > > will want to some how authenticate the user in most cases the
> > > username, password and maybe remote IP is used. This mean that your
> > > javascript will probably contain username and password in order to use
> > > JDBC to connect to the DB, is this favourable?
> > >
> > > Allan.

> > --
> > Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
> > weisse Streifen, grüner Rand
> >
> > --

Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: PGSQL and Javascript

From
Thomas Markus
Date:
look at apache cocoon for serverside javascript (rhino engine)
you can direct access java classes. write all db stuff in java and
access it from js

var dao = Packages.my.own.package.DAOController.findAll();
Packages.java.lang.System.out.println(dao.myproperty);

regards
thomas

Reg Me Please schrieb:
> Hello all.
>
> Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
> With no application server intervention, I mean.
> Just like libq allows access from C/C++.

Attachment

Re: [INTERFACES] PGSQL and Javascript

From
"Miha D. Puc"
Date:
Well you can add you own objects to Spidermonkey via its c api. So you
can implement something like Database object in c using libq and access
it from your script.
Regards,
Miha

Reg Me Please pravi:
> I already have a JS interpreter (spidermonkey) but there is no PGSQL
> interfacing API!
> This'd be why I'm asking.
>
> On Friday 30 January 2009 13:24:59 Sean Davis wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to write part of the application in Javascript, server side, not
>>> in
>>> the web page.
>>>
>> I missed your point.  Do a google search for javascript interpreters in the
>> language of your choice.  For example, there is Rhino for java.
>>
>> Sean

>>> --
>>> Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
>>> weisse Streifen, grüner Rand
>>>
>>> --

Miha D. Puc
EBA, agencija za elektronsko poslovanje, d.o.o., Ljubljana
Teslova ulica 30
SI-1000 Ljubljana
e-mail: miha.puc@eba.si
internet: www.eba.si
GSM: +386 (0)40 620 408
TEL: +386 (0)1 477 66 60

Re: [INTERFACES] PGSQL and Javascript

From
Sean Davis

I already have a JS interpreter (spidermonkey) but there is no PGSQL
interfacing API!
This'd be why I'm asking.

Ah.  Sorry again.  No idea if this will be useful, but you might take a look at:

http://www.whitebeam.org/

Sean

On Friday 30 January 2009 13:24:59 Sean Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I'd like to write part of the application in Javascript, server side, not
> > in
> > the web page.
>
> I missed your point.  Do a google search for javascript interpreters in the
> language of your choice.  For example, there is Rhino for java.
>
> Sean
>
> > On Friday 30 January 2009 12:53:05 Allan Kamau wrote:
> > > May be Javascript + JDBC not sure.
> > >
> > > But the question is why would you want to do so?
> > > Javascript can be read easily by the user having the javascript
> > > running on their browser. JDBC or any other database connecting client
> > > will want to some how authenticate the user in most cases the
> > > username, password and maybe remote IP is used. This mean that your
> > > javascript will probably contain username and password in order to use
> > > JDBC to connect to the DB, is this favourable?
> > >
> > > Allan.

> > --
> > Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
> > weisse Streifen, grüner Rand
> >
> > --

Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

Re: PGSQL and Javascript

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Friday 30. January 2009, Reg Me Please wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>Is there a way to directly access PGSQL from a Javascript application?
>With no application server intervention, I mean.
>Just like libq allows access from C/C++.

The usual way to handle it is to let the JavaScript code call a
server-side script through an XMLHttpRequest() object.

>Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
>weisse Streifen, grüner Rand

I like your sig.
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/