How good is the default values for autovacuum?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
Just wondering if I need to change the defalt values for autovacuum in version 8.3.5?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen

btj@havleik.no
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:

Re: How good is the default values for autovacuum?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Bjørn T Johansen <btj@havleik.no> wrote:
> Just wondering if I need to change the defalt values for autovacuum in version 8.3.5?

They're fairly good.  A good way to see if it's working for you is to
let autovacuum run for a few days with your server handling a normal
load, and every night at midnight or so send yourself the last 15 or
so lines of output from vacuum verbose on your database(s).

If it keeps telling you to increase your free space map then either
autovacuum isn't aggresive enough, or your usage pattern simply
requires a larger FSM to keep things from bloating.