stable function called for every row?

From
Gerhard Heift
Date:
Hello,

I have a query like this:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE has_permission('permission_name');

and the function

CREATE FUNCTION has_permission(IN pname text, OUT is_ok boolean) RETURNING boolean AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
  SELECT has_perm INTO is_ok FROM permission WHERE title = pname;

  RAISE INFO 'function called';

  IF is_ok IS FALSE THEN
    -- this function is VOLATILE
    PERFORM log.exception('permission denied');
  END IF;

  RETURN;
END
$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STABLE SECURITY DEFINER;

The function is called for every row in the table if it is stable or
volatile and only once if it is immutable?

I thought it had to be called only once, if it is stable.

(PostgreSQL 8.3.5)

Regards,
 Gerhard

Attachment

Re: stable function called for every row?

From
Gerhard Heift
Date:
I isolated my problem a little bit:

CREATE FUNCTION get_array() RETURNS integer[] AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
  RAISE INFO 'get_array';
  RETURN ARRAY[1, 2];
END
$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STABLE;

And now

SELECT * FROM generate_series(1,3) a(b) where array[b] <@ core.get_array();

gives me:

INFO:  get_array
INFO:  get_array
INFO:  get_array
---
 1
 2
(2 rows)

Why?? Wlli functions which returns an array not be cached?

Regards,
  Gerhard

Attachment

Re: stable function called for every row?

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello,

stable, volatile, immutable flag doesn't necessary means caching or
not caching.

if you need really only one call, use srf function

postgres=# create table foo(a int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into foo values(10),(20);
INSERT 0 2
postgres=# create function foof(bool) returns setof int as $$begin
raise notice 'foof call'; if $1 then return next 1; else return next
0; end if; return; end;$$ language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# select * from foof(true);
NOTICE:  foof call
 foof
------
    1
(1 row)

postgres=# select * from foo,foof(true);
NOTICE:  foof call
 a  | foof
----+------
 10 |    1
 20 |    1
(2 rows)

regards
Pavel Stehule

Date:
Gerhard Heift <ml-postgresql-20081012-3518@gheift.de> writes:
> The function is called for every row in the table if it is stable or
> volatile and only once if it is immutable?

Yes, possibly.

> I thought it had to be called only once, if it is stable.

No.  Stable means that it is *okay* to call it only once per query,
not that that is *guaranteed* to happen.  (What it really does is give
the planner license to use an indexscan on a condition involving the
function --- an indexscan's comparison value is evaluated just once,
so it would give the wrong answers for a non-stable function.)

            regards, tom lane