storing passwords

From
"Brandon Metcalf"
Date:
We have a number of automated jobs that connect to our pgsql DB and
I'm wondering what others are doing for authentication and securing
passwords.  It's easy enough to hardcode a password, but is there
something specific to pgsql, perhaps, that would be a better solution?

Thanks.

--
Brandon

Re: storing passwords

From
"Laurent Wandrebeck"
Date:
2008/11/5 Brandon Metcalf <bmetcalf@nortel.com>:
> We have a number of automated jobs that connect to our pgsql DB and
> I'm wondering what others are doing for authentication and securing
> passwords.  It's easy enough to hardcode a password, but is there
> something specific to pgsql, perhaps, that would be a better solution?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html may
do the trick.

Regards,
Laurent.

Re: storing passwords

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:

> 2008/11/5 Brandon Metcalf <bmetcalf@nortel.com>:
>> We have a number of automated jobs that connect to our pgsql DB and
>> I'm wondering what others are doing for authentication and securing
>> passwords.  It's easy enough to hardcode a password, but is there
>> something specific to pgsql, perhaps, that would be a better
>> solution?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html may
> do the trick.

ident authentication can be a good alternative for scheduled jobs
running
on the same machine as the database too.

Cheers,
   Steve