Bad behaviour in Sun Cluster

From
Patricio Mora
Date:
Hello all.

- postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 (Update unviable due to application)
- Solaris 9
- Sun Cluster 3.1.0
- SUNWscPostgreSQL 3.1.0

About 3 times each week, the check_pgs function of the SUNWscPostgreSQL
bin/functios file, stops my Postgres database.
I enabled the cluster's monitor logs (DEBUG=ALL on etc/config) and found
it complains about a time out when manipulating the tables of the
Postgres user used for the cluster to test the health of the DB server.

The command it throws is this:

/usr/bin/su - postgres -c   /usr/bin/env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib /usr/bin/env
PGPASSWORD=XXXX /usr/bin/env PGDATA=/postgres/data /usr/bin/env
PGPORT=5432 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d sc3_test_database -U scuser -c
"truncate sc3_table;insert into sc3_table (sccol) values('hello im
there');select * from sc3_table" >
/tmp/postgres_server-postgres-tbl-out  2>
/tmp/postgres_server-postgres-tbl-err

A minute after the timeout occurs. Postgres.log doesn't show anything (I
dont log SQL instructions)

Someone's seen something similar? TIA.

Re: Bad behaviour in Sun Cluster

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Patricio Mora
<patricio.mora@juntadeandalucia.es> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> - postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 (Update unviable due to application)

And this prevents you from updating to 7.4.22?

> - Solaris 9
> - Sun Cluster 3.1.0
> - SUNWscPostgreSQL 3.1.0
>
> About 3 times each week, the check_pgs function of the SUNWscPostgreSQL
> bin/functios file, stops my Postgres database.
> I enabled the cluster's monitor logs (DEBUG=ALL on etc/config) and found it
> complains about a time out when manipulating the tables of the Postgres user
> used for the cluster to test the health of the DB server.
>
> The command it throws is this:
>
> /usr/bin/su - postgres -c   /usr/bin/env
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib /usr/bin/env
> PGPASSWORD=XXXX /usr/bin/env PGDATA=/postgres/data /usr/bin/env PGPORT=5432
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d sc3_test_database -U scuser -c "truncate
> sc3_table;insert into sc3_table (sccol) values('hello im there');select *
> from sc3_table" > /tmp/postgres_server-postgres-tbl-out  2>
> /tmp/postgres_server-postgres-tbl-err
>
> A minute after the timeout occurs. Postgres.log doesn't show anything (I
> dont log SQL instructions)

Are there any errors in the logs?

Re: Bad behaviour in Sun Cluster

From
Patricio Mora
Date:
Scott Marlowe escribió:
 cite="middcc563d10810310603k52b0b63emb3809a6e8123dd59@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Patricio Mora
- postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 (Update unviable due to application)

And this prevents you from updating to 7.4.22?

Thanks, I'll try it on my development environment. I tried some 8
version and application crashed.
[...]

Postgres doesn't show any log (I'm logging only connections)
Cluster says that the service is broken.
And SUNWscPostgreSQL says:

15:45:47 The probe command </opt/SUNWscPostgreSQL/bin/control_pgs -R
postgres_server -G postgres_rg -P /postgres/data/postgres.conf.cluster
probe> timed out
15:45:47 Restarting the resource postgres_server.

Re: Bad behaviour in Sun Cluster

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Patricio Mora
<patricio.mora@juntadeandalucia.es> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Patricio Mora
> <patricio.mora@juntadeandalucia.es> wrote:
> > > - postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 (Update unviable due to application)
>
> > And this prevents you from updating to 7.4.22?
>

> Thanks, I'll try it on my development environment. I tried some 8 version
> and application crashed.

Yeah, there's lots of changes from 7.4.x to 8.0 and up.  But, 7.4.22
should be compatible with 7.4.5.  There's a lot of bug fixes, some
rather nasty ones, between 7.4.5 and 7.4.22.

> > > Are there any errors in the logs?
>

> > Postgres doesn't show any log (I'm logging only connections)
> > Cluster says that the service is broken.
> > And SUNWscPostgreSQL says:

Well, without any more logging you're not likely to get anymore useful
info.  I'd decrease the logging threshold to at least include errors
so you can get a better idea what's going on.  Til then we're both
describing an elephant from opposite ends in the dark with blindfolds
on.