Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

From
"Otandeka Simon Peter"
Date:
Hi All,

I am trying to import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1 database however I get
some characters  \x09\x09\x09\x09.

I know this is an error in 8.3.1 that was fixed in later updates
however is there a way of getting around it without going all over
again and remain with 8.3.1 database where I have already put alot of
important data.

peter.

Re: Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:58:39PM +0300, Otandeka Simon Peter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1 database however I get
> some characters  \x09\x09\x09\x09.
>
> I know this is an error in 8.3.1 that was fixed in later updates
> however is there a way of getting around it without going all over
> again and remain with 8.3.1 database where I have already put alot of
> important data.

Why don't you use the latest 8.3.x release?  You don't need a dump and
restore to go from 8.3.1 to 8.3.latest.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

From
"Otandeka Simon Peter"
Date:
Upgraded to 8.3.4 but am still getting the same error

Anything I can do about it?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:58:39PM +0300, Otandeka Simon Peter wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1 database however I get
>> some characters  \x09\x09\x09\x09.
>>
>> I know this is an error in 8.3.1 that was fixed in later updates
>> however is there a way of getting around it without going all over
>> again and remain with 8.3.1 database where I have already put alot of
>> important data.
>
> Why don't you use the latest 8.3.x release?  You don't need a dump and
> restore to go from 8.3.1 to 8.3.latest.

> Andrew Sullivan
> ajs@commandprompt.com
> +1 503 667 4564 x104
> http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 08:24:12PM +0300, Otandeka Simon Peter wrote:
> Upgraded to 8.3.4 but am still getting the same error

So it isn't an error in 8.3.1.  But my bet is this:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote

> >> I am trying to import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1 database however I get
> >> some characters  \x09\x09\x09\x09.

I expect that your problem is that 8.1 allowed some characters in that
you didn't want.  You probably need to use iconv to change those
characters to whatever are actually valid.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 08:24:12PM +0300, Otandeka Simon Peter wrote:
> > Upgraded to 8.3.4 but am still getting the same error
>
> So it isn't an error in 8.3.1.  But my bet is this:
>

> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote

> I expect that your problem is that 8.1 allowed some characters in that
> you didn't want.  You probably need to use iconv to change those
> characters to whatever are actually valid.

\x09 is a tab.  I think this behavior was changed in 8.3.something (made
it display as actual tabs instead of escaping them)

Re: Import db from 8.1.3 to 8.3.1

Date:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> I expect that your problem is that 8.1 allowed some characters in that
>> you didn't want.  You probably need to use iconv to change those
>> characters to whatever are actually valid.

> \x09 is a tab.  I think this behavior was changed in 8.3.something (made
> it display as actual tabs instead of escaping them)

Note that that's a psql behavior not a backend behavior.  I wonder if
the OP updated his server but is still using 8.3.early psql.

            regards, tom lane