flood in logs

From
Sebastian Pawłowski
Date:
hi,

i''m getting a lot of warning lines in log file,  they appears as
follows:

2008-10-10 12:11:49.976 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:49.987 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.004 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.015 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.460 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.471 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.490 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742
2008-10-10 12:11:50.504 CEST g@g 5696 127.0.0.1(46403) WARNING:
unrecognized node type: 742

from 2M lines only 200K was different then these

have you got any idea where do they come from? and how can i stop
them? i was trying to solve the problem, but with no result

i'm using:
    Ubuntu 8.04.1
    PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC cc (GCC)
4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
    pgbouncer version 1.2.3

Thanks in advance,

Reagards,

Sebastian Pawlowski

Re: flood in logs

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:58:35PM +0200, Sebastian Pawłowski wrote:
> have you got any idea where do they come from? and how can i stop them? i
> was trying to solve the problem, but with no result
> i'm using:
>     Ubuntu 8.04.1
>     PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 4.2.3
> (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
>     pgbouncer version 1.2.3

additional information:
1. postgresql from ubuntu packages:
$ dpkg -l | grep -E '(libpq|postgres)'
ii  libpq-dev                             8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         header files for libpq5 (PostgreSQL library)
ii  libpq5                                8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         PostgreSQL C client library
ii  postgresql                            8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         object-relational SQL database (latest versi
ii  postgresql-8.3                        8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         object-relational SQL database, version 8.3
ii  postgresql-client                     8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         front-end programs for PostgreSQL (latest ve
ii  postgresql-client-8.3                 8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
ii  postgresql-client-common              87                          manager for multiple PostgreSQL client versi
ii  postgresql-common                     87                          PostgreSQL database-cluster manager
ii  postgresql-contrib                    8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         additional facilities for PostgreSQL (latest
ii  postgresql-contrib-8.3                8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         additional facilities for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql-doc                        8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         documentation for the PostgreSQL database ma
ii  postgresql-doc-8.3                    8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         documentation for the PostgreSQL database ma
ii  postgresql-server-dev-8.3             8.3.3-0ubuntu0.8.04         development files for PostgreSQL 8.3 server-

and, i was able to determine that the problem occurs when i execute 'discard all' query - it is usually being run in
ourcase by pgbouncer:

postgres=# DISCARD ALL;
WARNING:  unrecognized node type: 742
DISCARD ALL

on another machine with the same packages - the problem doesn't exist.

what could be the reason behind it?

best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: flood in logs

Date:
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> postgres=# DISCARD ALL;
> WARNING:  unrecognized node type: 742
> DISCARD ALL

Could we see that with "\set VERBOSITY verbose", please?

            regards, tom lane

Re: flood in logs

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:24:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> > postgres=# DISCARD ALL;
> > WARNING:  unrecognized node type: 742
> > DISCARD ALL
> Could we see that with "\set VERBOSITY verbose", please?

sure:

postgres=# DISCARD ALL;
WARNING:  01000: unrecognized node type: 742
LOCATION:  GetCommandLogLevel, utility.c:2558
DISCARD ALL

Best regards,

depesz